Dr Jenny Howse
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jennifer completed her undergraduate degree in optometry at University of Wales, Cardiff in 2000 and completed her pre-registration years training at Gartnavel General Hospital in Glasgow, before working as an optometrist in both hospital and high street settings in the North East. She completed an MSc in Clinical Optometry at Bradford University in 2004 before joining Durham University in 2007 to study for a PhD in screening for diabetes in optometric practice, using mixed methods approach to investigate the feasibility and acceptability of implementing a diabetes screening service in high street opticians. She joined the Centre for Integrated HealthCare Research as a research fellow in 2010.
In her spare time, Jennifer is involved in a number of sports including rowing, triathlon and cycling.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010), Acceptability of random capillary blood glucose tests in high street opticians practices, 1: Diabetes UK Annual Professional conference 2010. Diabetic Medicine, 490.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010), Prevalence of elevated random capillary blood glucose in “at risk” people attending high street opticians, 1: Diabetes UK Annual Professional conference 2010. Diabetic Medicine, 489
Journal papers: academic
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2011). Screening and identifying diabetes in optometric practice: a prospective study. British Journal of General Practice 61(588): e436-e442.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS (2011). Screening for diabetes in optometry practices: acceptability to users. Ophthalmic and physiological optics 31(4): 367-374.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2011). Screening for diabetes in unconventional locations: resource implications and economics of screening in optometry practices. Health policy 102(2-3): 193-199.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010). Screening and diagnosing diabetes in optometrists’ practices: an evaluation of perceptions, attitudes and beliefs. Practical Diabetes International 27(2): 55-58.
- Howse JH., Jones S. & Hungin APS. (2009). An evaluation of optometrists’ perceptions, attitudes and beliefs towards screening and diagnosing diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 26(S1): 534.