Professor John Wilkinson, MB ChB, MD, MRCGP, FFPH, DRCOG
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
John has been Director of the Public Health Observatory since its creation in May 2000. He was formerly the Deputy Director of Public Health in North Yorkshire and the director of public health in Northallerton. He undertook public health training in Nottingham after a period as a general practitioner in Lincolnshire. He is visiting Professor of Public Health at Teeside University. John currently chairs the Association of Public Health Observatories (England)
Indicators of Esteem
- Member Editorial Board of Public Health:
- Member editorial board Public Health Genomics:
- Visiting Profesor University of Teesside:
- Visiting Professor in School of Medicine, University of Leeds:
- Wilkinson J.R., Ells L.J., Pencheon D., Flowers J. & Burton H (2011). Public Health Genomics: The interface with Public Health Intelligence and the role of Public Health Observatories. Public Health genomics 14: 35-42.
- Wilkinson, J.R. & Calman, K.C. (2006). Golden Rules of Public Health Practice. In Oxford Handbook of Public Health Practice. Pencheon, D., Guest, Charles., Melzer, D. & Muir Gray, J.A. Oxford Handbook of Public Health Practice.: Oxford University Press. 623-627.
- Wilkinson, J.R. (2006). Public Health Intelligence and Public Health Observatories. In New Perspectives in Public Health. New Perspectives in Public Health.: Radcliffe Medical Press. 303-313.
- Wright, J, Williams, R & Wilkinson, J.R (1998). The Development of Health Needs Assessment in Health Needs Assessment in Practice. In The Development of Health Needs Assessment in Health Needs Assessment in Practice. BMJ Books.
Journal papers: academic
- Heslehurst N., Moore H., Rankin J., Ells LJ, Wilkinson J.R. & Summerbell C.D. (2011). How can maternity services be developed to effectively address maternal obesity? A qualitative study. Midwifery 27: e170-177.
- • Smith S.A, Heslehurst N., Ells LJ., Wilkinson J.R. Community based service provision and management of maternal obesity in the North East of England: A Qualitative Study. (2010). Public Health
- *Wilkinson J.R. Lam M, Fitzpatrick J. 2010 (published on line April 2010) (2010). Public Health Observatories on the International Stage. Public Health On line April 2010.
- Wilkinson J.R. (2010). What we want to know is…. Public Health 124(12): 718-9.
- Wilkinson, J.R., Berghmans L., Imbert F., Ledesert B. & Ochoa A (2008). Health Indicators in the European Regions - ISARE II. European Journal of Public Health 18(2): 178 - 183.
- Heslehurst, N, Ells, LJ, Simpson, H, Batterham, A, Wilkinson, J & Summerbell, CD (2007). Trends in maternal obesity incidence rates, demographic predictors, and health inequalities in 36 821 women over a 15-year period. Bjog-an International Journal Of Obstetrics And Gynaecology 114(2): 187-194.
- Lidstone, JSM, Ells, LJ, Finn, P, Whittaker, VJ, Wilkinson, JR & Summerbell, CD (2006). Independent associations between weight status and disability in adults: Results from the health survey for England. Public Health 120(5): 412-417.
- Wilkinson, J & Hemmings J. (2003). What is an Observatory? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 57(5): 324-326.
- Wilkinson, J (2003). Young people with cancer - how should their care be organised? European Journal of Cancer Care 12(1): 65-70.
- Wilkinson, J, Jordan J, Wright J, Thomson R & Williams D.R.R (2002). Health needs assessment and needs - led health service change: a postal and interview survey of effectiveness of projects involving public health doctors. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 7(2): 1- 10.
- Wilkinson, J, Feltbower R.G, Lewis I.J, Parslow R.C & McKinney P.A (2001). Survival from adolescent cancer in Yorkshire, UK. European Journal of Cancer 37(7): 903-911.
- Wilkinson J.R., Glover G, Chappel D & Bywaters J (2007). Mental Health Indications. York, Association of Public Health Observatories.