Dr Bryan Burford, BSc (Hons), MSc (Eng), PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Bryan Burford is a Senior Research Associate in the Centre for Medical Education Research based at the Durham site. He has a background in psychology and ergonomics, and completed his PhD in psychology at Northumbria University.
He moved into medical education research in 2005, joing the research team then based in the Northern Deanery, before moving with the rest of the team to Durham University in 2010.
He has led on projects looking at patient and colleague feedback to junior doctors, and been a core member of project teams looking at the transition of new doctors to the workplace, the experience of overseas doctors moving to the UK, and the effects of the Working Time Regulations (aka the European Working Time Directive) on medical education and training. These studies, as well as numerous smaller projects, have informed the development of policy both locally and nationally, as well as being presented at national and international conferences.
Current work includes a project looking at professionalism in non-medical professions (funded by the Health and Care Professions Council).
Bryan is currently developing research which draws on his background in psychology, specifically around the contribution that social identity theory may have for understanding the development of professional identity. Other interests include intergroup processes in interprofessional working, and contextual influences on communication and decision making in clinical environments.
- Burford B, Kergon C, Morrow G, Illing J, Wright P & Jelley D. (2010), The problems faced by sessional and remote GPs in fulfilling revalidation, ASME Annual Scientific Meeting, 4-8 September 2010. Glasgow, Scotland.
- Burford B, Greco M, Illing J, Bedi A, Morrow G, Kergon C & Livingston M. (2009), Doctor and patient views of ‘a good consultation’ in the context of giving and receiving patient feedback. (Poster presentation), AMEE Conference, 29 August-2 September 2009. Malaga, Spain.
- Morrow G, Kergon C, Burford B, Illing J, Johnson N, Spencer J, Peile E, Davies C, Baldauf B, Allen M & Morrison J. (2009), Medical graduates’ preparedness for practice: questionnaire responses from three UK medical schools, ASME Annual Scientific Meeting, 15-17 July 2009. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Illing, J, Kergon, C, Morrow, G & Burford, B (2008), The experiences of UK, European and non-European medical graduates making the transition to the UK workplace, ASME conference. Leicester, England.
- Burford B, Illing J & Livingston M. (2008), Where does multi-source feedback come from, and how does it reach the page? (Poster presentation), 13th Ottawa International Conference on Clinical Competence, 5-8 March 2008. Melbourne, Australia.
Journal papers: academic
- Vance, G, Williamson, A, Frearson, R, O'Connor, N, Davison, J, Steele, C & Burford, B (2013). Evaluation of an established learning portfolio. The Clinical Teacher 10(1): 21.
- Illing, J, Morrow, G, Rothwell, CR, Burford, BC, Baldauf, BK, Davies, CL, Peile, EB, Spencer, JA, Johnson, N, Allen, M & Morrison, J (2013). Perceptions of UK medical graduates' preparedness for practice: A multi-centre qualitative study reflecting the importance of learning on the job. BMC Medical Education 13(34).
- Rothwell, C, Morrow, G, Burford, B & Illing, J (2013). Ways in which healthcare organisations can support overseas-qualified doctors in the UK. International Journal of Medical Education 4: 75-82.
- Burford, B. (2012). Conflict and power as intergroup processes: not below the surface, but part of the fabric. Medical Education 46(9): 830-832.
- Morrow, G, Burford, B, Redfern, N, Briel, R & Illing, J (2012). Does specialty training prepare doctors for senior roles? A questionnaire study of new UK consultants. Postgraduate Medical Journal 88(1044): 558-565.
- Burford, B. (2012). Group processes in medical education: Learning from social identity theory. Medical Education 46(2): 143-152.
- Rothwell, C, Burford, B, Morrison, J, Morrow, G, Allen, M, Davies, C, Baldauf, B, Spencer, J, Johnson, N, Peile, E & Illing, J. (2012). Junior Doctors prescribing: enhancing their learning in practice. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 73(2): 194-202.
- Morrow, G, Johnson, N, Burford, B, Rothwell, C, Spencer, J, Peile, E, Davies, C, Allen, M, Baldauf, B, Morrison, J & Illing, J (2012). Preparedness for practice: The perceptions of medical graduates and clinical teams. Medical Teacher 34(2): 123-135.
- Burford, B, Greco, M, Bedi, A, Kergon, C, Morrow, G, Livingston, M & Illing, J. (2011). Does questionnaire-based patient feedback reflect the important qualities of clinical consultations? Context, benefits & risks. Patient Education & Counselling 84(2): e28-e36.
- Morrow, G., Burford, B., Kergon, C. & Illing, J. (2010). Addressing performance concerns. British Journal of Health Care Management 16(9): 436-442.
- Burford, B., Illing, J., Kergon, C., Morrow, G. & Livingston, M. (2010). User perceptions of multi-source feedback tools for junior doctors. Medical Education 44(2): 165-176.
- Campbell, J., Narayanan, A., Burford, B. & Greco, M. (2010). Validation of a multi-source feedback tool for use in General Practice. Education for Primary Care 21(3): 165-179.
- Morrow, G, Illing, J, Refern, N, Briel, R, Burford, B & Kergon, C. (2009). Are specialist registrars fully prepared for the role of consultant?. The Clinical Teacher 6(2): 87-90.
- Burford, B, Hesketh, A, Wakeling, J, Bagnall, G, Colthart, I, Illing, J, Kergon, C, Morrow, G, Spencer, J & van Zwanenberg, T. (2009). Asking the right questions and getting meaningful responses: 12 tips on developing and administering a questionnaire survey for healthcare professionals. Medical Teacher 31(3): 207-211.
- Burford, B, Greco, M, Bedi, A, Morrow, G, Illing, J, Livingston, M & Kergon, C. (2009). Collecting patient feedback in different clinical settings: problems and solutions. The Clinical Teacher 6(4): 259-264.
- Hrisos, S, Illing, J & Burford, B. (2008). Portfolio learning for foundation doctors: early feedback on its use in the clinical workplace. Medical Education 42(2): 214-223.
- Illing, J, Carter, M, Thompson, NJ, Crampton, PES, Morrow, GM, Howse, JH, Cooke, A & Burford, BC (2013). Evidence Synthesis on the occurrence, causes, consequences, prevention and management of bullying and harassing behaviours to inform decision-making in the NHS. HMSO.
- Morrow G, Burford B, Rothwell C, Carter M, McLachlan J & Illing J. (2011). Professionalism in Healthcare Professionals: Final Report. London, Health Professions Council.
- Burford B, Morrow G, Rothwell C, Carter M, Illing J & McLachlan J. (2011). Progress report for Study 2 – Development of quantitative approaches to professionalism. Report to the Health Professions Council, April 2011.
- Jelley D, Morrow G, Kergon C, Burford B, Wright P & Illing J. (2010). Revalidation processes for sessional GPs: A feasibility study to pilot current proposals. Report to the Royal College of General Practitioners, April 2010. Durham, Durham University, School of Medicine and Health.
- Illing, J., Campbell, M., Kergon, C., Thompson, N., Morrow, G., Crampton, P., Burford, B., Spencer, J. & Haig, A. (2009). A systematic review of selection procedures for Foundation Doctors. Medical Schools Council.
- Morrow G, Kergon C, Burford B & Illing J. (2008). Evaluation of the National Clinical Assessment Service in Northern Ireland. Final report to NCAS, June 2008.
- Illing J, Burford B, Campbell M, Morrow G, Kergon C, Thompson N & Crampton P. (2008). Extending Professional Regulation: Models of regulation and their applicability to healthcare. Report for the Department of Health Extending Professional Regulation Working Group, December 2008. Department of Health, North East Education.
- Illing, J, Morrow, G, Kergon, C, Burford, B, Spencer, J, Peile, E, Davies, C, Baldauf, B, Allen, M, Johnson, N, Morrison, J, Donaldson, M, Whitelaw, M & Field, M (2008). How prepared are medical graduates to begin practice? A comparison of three diverse UK medical schools. Final report to GMC April 2008.
- Illing J, Morrow, G, Kergon C, Burford B, Spencer J, Peile E, Davies C, Baldauf B, Allen M, Johnson N, Morrison J, Donaldson M, Whitelaw M & Field M. (2008). How prepared are medical graduates to begin practice? Final summary and conclusions for the GMC Education Committee, September 2008.
- Kergon, C, Illing, J, Morrow, G, Burford, B, Spencer, J, Peile, E, Davies, C, Baldauf, B, Allen, M, Johnson, N & Morrison, J (2010), Preparedness for prescribing: the transition from medical school to junior doctor, AMEE Conference, Glasgow. Glasgow, Scotland..
- Burford B & Greco M. (2008), Making patient feedback work: Listening to patients, talking to doctors, 13th Ottawa International Conference on Clinical Competence 5-8 March 2008. Melbourne, Australia.
- Cogntive psychology
- Medical education
- Social psychology