Publication details for Professor Maggie O'NeillO'Neill, M. (2009). Making Connections: Ethno-mimesis, Migration and Diaspora. Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society 14(3): 289-302.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 1088-0763, 1543-3390
- DOI: 10.1057/pcs.2009.5
- Keywords: Asylum-migration nexus, Ethno-mimesis, Recognition, Praxis.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
This paper presents a 10-year trajectory of research in the United Kingdom exploring the asylum-migration nexus and processes of belonging using participatory and arts-based methodologies. The relational dynamics involved in exploring the space between ethnography and arts-based practice (ethno-mimesis) are viewed through the work of critical theorists Theodor Adorno and Walter Benjamin. These psychoanalytic critical theorists provide a framework for thinking through the relationship between art and society, participatory research and the politics of representation.