Prof Gary Craig
Gary was the world’s first Professor in Social Justice when he was appointed at the University of Hull in 2000. He was also founding Fellow at the Wilberforce Institute for the study of Slavery and Emancipation (patron, Archbishop Desmond Tutu) and led the team working on issues of modern slavery.
He worked in community development until returning to academic life in 1990 and was President of the International Association for Community Development (with UN consultative status) for 9 years till 2008. He is on the Boards of the Journal of Social Policy, Journal of Social Development in Africa, Community Development, and the Journal of Intercultural Studies, is a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and an Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences. He was a member of the 2007 RAE panel for social policy, social work and health studies and is a Trustee of the UK Desmond Tutu Foundation.
In between times, he likes walking, birdwatching and singing.
Gary has about 250 publications, including books, chapters in books, journal articles and research reports. He has a book on Understanding 'race ' and ethnicity, currently in Press. Most recent representative publications include the following.
- Race, Crime and Justice: mapping Black Minority Ethnic (BME) and refugee groups and communities in the NE region
- PhD applicants interested in any of these areas but particularly in issues to do with social justice, 'race' and ethnicity, and community development, are welcome to contact Professor Craig.
- 'Race' and ethnicity
- Local governance
- Community development
- Children and young people
- Poverty and deprivation
- Craig, Gary. & et al (2009). Hidden from view, racism against the Chinese UK population. London: DCLG/TMG.
- Craig, Gary. & et al (2009). Turning the Tide: migrant workers and Gangmasters' Licensing Authority. Oxford: Oxfam.
- Gary Craig, Karl Atkin, Sangeeta Chattoo & Ronny Flynn (2012). Understanding 'race' and ethnicity: Theory, history, policy, practice. Policy Press.
- Craig, Gary, Mayo, Marj, Popple, Keith, Shaw, Mae & Taylor, Marilyn (2011). The community development reader. Policy Press.
- Craig, Gary (2010). Child Slavery Now. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Craig. Gary., Popple, Keith. & Shaw, Mae. (2009). Community Development in Theory and Practice. Nottingham: Spokesman Books.
- Craig, Gary & Alcock, Pete. (2008). International Social Policy. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Craig. Gary, Burchardt, Tania. & Gordon, David. (2008). Social Justice and Public Policy. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Craig, Gary. & et al (2007). Contemporary slavery in the UK. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Craig, Gary. (2007). Sure Start and Black and Minority Ethnic Children. London: DfES.
- Craig, Gary (2012). The history and pattern of settlement of the UK's Black and minority ethnic populations. In Understanding 'Race' and Ethnicity: Theory, history, policy, practice. Craig,Gary, Atkin, Karl, Chattoo, Sangeeta & Flynn, Ronny The Policy Press. 41-.
- Craig, Gary (2011). Community capacity building: critiquing the concept in different policy contexts. In Challenging Capacity Building. Kenny, Sue & Clarke, Matthew Palgrave. 41-66.
- Wilkinson, Mick & Craig, Gary (2011). Wilful negligence: migration policy, migrants' work and the absence of social protection in the UK. In Migration and welfare in the New Europe. Carmel, Emma, Cerami, Alfio & Papadopoulos, Theodoros Policy Press. 177-194.
- Craig, G. (2009). Community Capacity Building and Social Policy: Health, Housing and Community Regeneration. In Community Capacity Building Creating a Better Future Together. Noya, A., Clarence, E. & Craig, G. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. 37-86.
- Craig, G. (2008). The limits of compromise? Social justice, 'race' and multiculturalism. In Social Justice and Public Policy Seeking Fairness in Diverse Societies. Craig, G., Burchardt, T. & Gordon, D. Policy Press. 231-250.
Journal papers: academic
- Lewis, H. & Craig, G. (2013). "Multiculturalism is never talked about": community cohesion and local policy contradictions in England. Policy and Politics
- Gary Craig & Reg Walker (2012). 'Race' on the welfare margins. Community Development Journal 47(4): 491-505.
- Tom Vickers, Gary Craig & Karl Atkin (2012). Addressing ethnicity in social care research. Social Policy and Administration 44(2).
- Craig, Gary (2012). Don't put your money on Black!. The Big Society:The Big Divide 121-143.
- Craig, Gary (2011). Forward to the past: can the UK black and minority ethnic third sector survive?. Voluntary Sector Review 2(3): 367-389.
- Craig, Gary. (2007). Cunning, unprincipled, loathsome: the racist tail wags the welfare dog. Journal of Social Policy
- Craig, Gary. (2007). Something borrowed, something blue: community capacity building. Critical Social Policy
- Craig, Gary, Adamson, Sue, Ali, Nazreen & Demsash, Fasil (2010). Mapping rapidly changing ethnic minorities. York Publishing/JRF.
Available for media contact about:
- Sociology: 'Race' and ethnicity
- Sociology: Social Policy
- Sociology: Poverty and social exclusion
- Sociology: Local governance
- Sociology: Community development and empowerment
- Community and youth work:
- 2011: 'Race', crime and justice in the North East - Ministry of Justice
- 2010: Community cohesion: the case of Sheffield's Yemenis - Australian Research Council
- 2010: Ethnicity and methodology in health and social care research - National Institute for Health Research
- 2010: Mapping human rights organisations in Scotland -Scottish Human Rights Commission
- 2010: Mapping rapidly changing ethnic minorities-Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- 2009: Forced labour in the UK - Joseph Rowntree Foundation