Professor John Mcmullen, MA, PhD, FCIPD, FRSA, FSALS, FAUA
As well as his academic appointments, John McMullen is also an employment Partner in Short Richardson & Forth LLP. He has an MA and PhD from the University of Cambridge. He began his academic career at Cambridge where he was Fellow, Director of Studies, Tutor and Praelector at Girton College, Cambridge. On his return to private practice he continued teaching at Girton as Lecturer and Bye-Fellow. In 1994 he was appointed as Professor of Labour Law at the University of Leeds, a post which he held until 2010.
From 2004 to 2010 he was a Member of the Council of the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS). He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a Fellow of the Society of Advanced Legal Studies and a Fellow of the Association of University of Administrators. He has extensive academic and practical experience in all areas of labour law. A major area of his research is in the field of transfer of undertakings. He is the author of the leading work on the subject, Business Transfers and Employee Rights, (LexisNexis looseleaf and bulletins) which has been cited judicially in Allan v Stirling District Council  IRLR 208; CPL Distribution Ltd v Evans EAT/0669/01; Scottish Coal Co Ltd v McCormack, EAT 3/0034/03; Preston and Others v Wolverhampton Healthcare NHS Trust and Others (EAT/1009/02 and Holis Metal Industries Ltd v GMB  ICR 464 . He is currently working on a book on redundancy law for Oxford University Press.
He also has particular experience in international employment law and practice including cross border mergers and acquisitions, transnational outsourcing, restructuring and European and national information and consultation procedures and agreements. Professor McMullen is also an external member of the Centre for European Law and Legal Studies (CELLS) at the University of Leeds.
He is a member of the Editorial Board on Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law, a general editor of Sweet and Maxwell's Encyclopaedia of Employment Law and an advisory editor of Sweet and Maxwell's Discrimination in Employment and The Law of Higher Education by D. Farrington and D. Palfreyman (OUP) (2006).
- McMullen, J., Mordsley, B., Napier, B., Smith, I. & Randall, N. (2005). Butterworths Employment Law Guide. LexisNexis Butterworths.
- McMullen, J. (2001). Business Transfers and Employee Rights.
- Brewer, M. & McMullen, J. (eds) (2001). Working Time: the Law and Practice. Sweet & Maxwell.
Edited works: contributions
- McMullen, J. (2007). Transfer of Undertakings. In Tolley’s Employment Law.
- McMullen, J. (2007). Transfer of Undertakings Regulations. In Pratt JH, Franchising Law and Practice. Sweet and Maxwell.
- McMullen, J. (2007). Transfer of Undertakings. In Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law.
- McMullen, J. (2003). Transfer of Undertakings. In Employment Practices and Procedures.
- McMullen, J. (2003). Transfer of Undertakings. In CIPD Employment Law for People Managers. Lewis, D. & Sergeant, M.
- McMullen, J. (2003). Wages. In Tolley’s Employment Law.
Journal papers: academic
- McMullen, J, (2008). “The Right to Object to Transfer of Employment Under TUPE”. Industrial Law Journal 37(2): 169-177.
- McMullen, J. (2007). Some problems and themes in the application of Directive 2001/23 in the application of Directive 2001/23/EC in Member States. International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations 23(3): 335-374
- McMullen, J. (2006). An Analysis of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations. Industrial law Journal 35: 113-139.
- McMullen, J. (2006). Recent Judicial and Legislative Developments in the law of Transfer of Undertakings. Amicus Curiae 63: 24-28
- McMullen, J. (2001). Transfer of Undertakings: Perspectives from Britain and Ireland. Irish Jurist 36: 83-125.