Dr Simon Hogg, BSc PhD CEng FIMechE
(email at email@example.com)
Simon Hogg returned to academia in January 2010 taking up a position as Reader in the School of Engineering and Computing Sciences. He is a mechanical engineer with specific expertise in analytical, experimental and computational fluid dynamics, turbomachinery, aerodynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer. His research interests lie in the general areas of turbomachinery component development for improved thermal performance and power cycle/distribution modelling & optimisation.
Simon graduated with a BSc and PhD from University of Manchester (UMIST) in 1980’s. His PhD study was funded by Rolls Royce and concerned developing computational fluid dynamics codes for predicting gas turbine swirl stabilised combustor flows. Following graduation he held University posts for 10 years, both as a Rolls Royce funded Research Fellow at Oxford University and then later as a lecturer in Engineering at Leicester University. Whilst working in Universities he developed research interests in turbine aerodynamics and turbine bearing and sealing systems. This work involved experimental, computational and analytical studies including developing new test facilities and new fast-response instrumentation techniques, for measuring unsteady turbomachinery flows.
In 1998 he joined ALSTOM’s power generation equipment supplier division, initially working in Steam Turbine R&D and then, from 2003 to 2010, in the Company’s Steam Turbine Retrofit Business. During this period he held senior management/technical leadership positions in Tendering and eventually as Engineering Director of the Turbine Retrofit Business.
Simon is a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. He sits on European (BSI/IEC) and American (ASME) international steam turbine codes and standards committees.
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
- Hogg, S.I. & Gomez Ruiz, I. (2011), Fluidic Jet Barriers For Sealing Applications, 5: Heat Transfer, Parts A and B: ASME 2011 Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2011). June 6–10, 2011 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, ASME, 779-788.
- Littlewood, D.M. & Hogg, S.I. (2008), Compact diaphragm turbine technology and its first application in a turbine retrofit, Proceedings of the ASME Power Conference 2008. Orlando, 317-323.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Bridge, R., Azad, T. & Hogg, S.I. (2010). Integrated Steam Turbine Retrofits for Nuclear Applications – A Case Study. PowerGen Europe 2010, Amsterdam.
- Hogg, S.I & Stephen, D. (2005). ALSTOM-CPS San Antonio Retrofit of JK Spruce Unit 1 HP-IP Turbine – An Example of an Advanced Steam Turbine Upgrade for Improved Performance by a Non-OEM Supplier. ASME Power 2005, Chicago, USA..
- Hogg, S.I. (2005). Conversion to Partial Arc Admission when Retrofitting Steam Turbine Power Plant – Unlocking Additional Performance at Part-Load Conditions’. IMechE Seminar on Rerofitting Steam Power Generation Plant, London, I.Mech.E.
- Kearney, P.J., Hogg, S.I. & Brown, R.D (2004). Performance Guarantee and Testing of Steam Turbine Retrofits. ASME Power 2004, Baltimore, USA.
- Hesketh, A., Hogg, S.I. & Stephen, D (2003). A Stage Efficiency Prediction Method and Related Performance Aspects of Retrofits on Disc/Diaphragm Steam Turbines. ASME Int. Joint Power Generation Conf, Atlanta, USA.
- Owen, A.K., Jones, T.V., Guo, S.M. & Hogg, S.I. (2003). An Eperimental and Theoretical Study of Brush Seal Shaft Thermal Distortion. ASME Turbo Expo, Atlanta, USA.
- Hogg, S.I. (2003). Brush Seals in Steam Turbine Power Plant. Charles Parsons Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
- Stephen, D. & Hogg, S.I (2003). Development of Brush Seal Technology for Steam Turbine Retrofit Applications. ASME Int. Joint Power Generation Conf, Atlanta, USA.
- Hogg, S.I., Gostelow, J.P. & Carscallen, W.E. (1999). Direct Measurement of Energy Separation in Vortical Trailing Edge Wake Flows using a New Wide Bandwisth Total Temperature Probe. XIV biennial Symp. on Measurement Techniques in Turbomachines, Limerick, Ireland.
- O’Neill, A.T., Hogg, S.I., Wither, P.A., Turner, M.T. & Jones, T.V. (1997). Multiple Brush Seals in Series. ASME Gas Turbine Conference, Orlando, USA.
- Carscallen, W.E., Hogg, S.I., Gostelow, J.P. & Buttsworth, D.R. (1997). Time Resolved Measurements of the Energy Separation Process in a Transonic Turbine Vane Wake Flow. AGARD Advanced Aerodynamic Measurement Technology, Seattle, USA.
- Hughes, S.J. & Hogg, S.I. (1995). An Experimental Evaluation of Air-Lubricated Bearings in a Jet Engine Environment. 12th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hilditch, M.A., Fowler, A., Jones, T.V., Chana, K.S., Oldfield, M.L.G., Ainsworth, R.W., Hogg, S.I., Anderson, S.J. & Smith G.C. (1994). Installation of a Turbine Stage in the Pyestock Isentropic Light Piston Facility. ASME Gas Turbine Conference, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Hogg, S.I., Hughes, S.J. & Jones T.V. (1991). A test facility for the Study of the Thermofluids-Dynamics of Gas Bearing Lubrication Films. 10th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines, Nottingham, UK.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Computation of Strongly-Swirling Reacting Flow in a Model Combustor with Second-Moment Closure. 7th Int. Symp. on Turbulent Shear Flows, Stanford, USA.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Second-Moment Computations of Strongly-Swirling Reacting Flow in a Model Combustor. 3rd Int. Conf. on Numerical Combustion, Antibes, France., Springer-Verlag.
- Hogg, S.I., Jones, T.V., Baker, A. & Withers, P. (1989). Two-Dimensional Effects in Gas Dynamic Journal Bearings”, Proc. 9th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines. 9th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines, Athens, Greece..
Journal papers: academic
- Cao, C., Chew, J.W., Millington, P.R. & Hogg, S.I. (2004). Interaction of Rim Seal and Annulus Flows in an Axial Flow Turbine. ASME J. of Eng. for Gas Turbines and Power 126(4): 786 - 793.
- Carscallen, W.E., Currie, T.C., Hogg, S.I. & Gostelow, J.P (1999). Measurement and Computation of Energy Separation in the Vortical Wake Flow of a Turbine Nozzle Cascade. ASME J. of Turbomachinery 121(4): 703-708.
- Chew, J.W. & Hogg, S.I (1997). Porosity Modelling of Brush Seals. ASME J. Tribology 119(4): 769-775.
- Hughes, S.J., Hogg, S.I. & Jones, T.V. (1996). A Comparison between Predicted and Measured Performance of a Gas Dynamic Thrust Bearing. ASME J. Tribology 118(2): 449-456.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Computations of Highly Swirling Confined Flow with a Reynolds Stress Turbulence Model. AIAA Journal 27(1): 57-63.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Second-Moment-Closure Calculations of Strongly Swirling Confined Flow with Large Density Gradient. Int. J. Heat & Fluid Flow 10(1): 16-27.
- Hogg, S.I. & Launder, B.E. (1985). Three Dimensional Turbulent Corner Wall Jet. Aeronautical Journal 89(885): 167-171.
- Hogg, S.I. (2011). Sealing Device For Reducing Fluid Leakage in Turbine Apparatus. PCT/GB2011/051892 Submission Number: 1200024878. Application filed: 30 November 1999. Granted: 30 November 1999