Dr Thomas Coskeran, MA, MSc, PhD, PGCE
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thomas has several years experience of teaching economics in both schools and universities in the UK. He has also worked as an economic adviser in both HM Treasury and the NHS.
His main teaching and research interests are in microeconomics. His current research focuses on the economic analysis of the effects of radon gas, a potential cause of lung cancer, and the operation of resource efficiency clubs (previously waste minimisation clubs), groups of businesses that share ideas on how best to manage resources within their business. He has also worked on identifying the determinants of waste recycling among householders.
His work on radon is concerned with estimating the cost-effectiveness of remediating against the effects of the gas in domestic properties and has formed part of policy submissions to responsible ministers. His research on resource efficiency clubs has concentrated on identifying how best to design the clubs so that they operate effectively for their members and the wider community.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of radon remediation
- Resource efficiency clubs
- Waste management
Journal papers: academic
- Coskeran T., Denman, A., Phillips, P. & Tornberg, R. (2009). A critical evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of radon protection methods in new homes in a radon affected area of England. Environment International 3(6): 943-951.
- Denman, A., Coskeran, T., Phillips, P., Crockett, R., Tornberg, R. & Groves-Kirkby, C. (2008). Lowering the UK domestic radon action level to prevent more lung cancers – is it cost-effective?. Journal of Radiological Protection 28: 61-71.
- Coskeran, T., Smith, S. & Phillips, P. (2007). An economic modeling approach to the design and delivery of sustainable waste minimisation clubs: Prospects in the new policy framework. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 50(4): 398-414.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A., Phillips, P. & Tornberg, R. (2007). The cost-effectiveness of radon-proof membranes in new homes: A case study from Brixworth, Northamptonshire, UK. Health Policy 81: 195-206.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A., Phillips, P. & Tornberg, R. (2006). A cost-effectiveness analysis of radon protection methods in domestic properties: a comparative case study in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, UK. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 9: 73-89.
- Phillips, P., Barnes, R., Bates, M. & Coskeran, T. (2006). A critical appraisal of an UK county waste minimisation programme: The requirement for regional facilitated development of industrial symbiosis/ecology. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 46(3): 242-264.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A., Phillips, P., Gillmore, G. & Tornberg, R. (2006). A new methodology for cost-effectiveness studies of domestic radon remediation programmes: Quality-adjusted life-years gained within Primary Care Trusts in Central England. Science of the Total Environment 366(1): 32-46.
- Smith, S., Coskeran, T. & Woolridge, A. (2006). Determinants of Household Recycling and Waste Minimisation Behaviour: the Case of Moulton, Northamptonshire, UK. The Journal of Solid Waste Management and Technology 32(2): 71-80.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A., Phillips, P. & Tornberg, R. (2005). A cost-effectiveness analysis of domestic radon remediation in four primary care trusts located in Northamptonshire, UK. Health Policy 71: 43-56.
- Coskeran, T. & Phillips, P. (2005). Economic appraisal and evaluation of UK waste minimisation clubs: proposals to inform the design of sustainable clubs. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 43: 361-374.
- Denman, A., Groves-Kirby, C., Coskeran, T., Parkinson, S., Phillips, P. & Tornberg, R. (2005). Evaluating the health benefits and cost-effectiveness of the radon remediation programme in domestic properties in Northamptonshire, UK. Health Policy 73: 139-150.
- Phillips, P., Morris, J., Coskeran, T. & Woolridge, A. (2005). The Strategic Solid Waste Management Research Agenda in England (2004-07): Implications for Evidence Based Policy Formulation in Developing Countries. Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management 31(1): 46-54.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A., Phillips, P. & Gillmore, G. (2002). A critical comparison of the cost-effectiveness of domestic radon remediation programmes in three counties of England. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 62: 129-144.
- Coskeran, T., Denman, A. & Phillips, P. (2001). The cost of radon remediation in domestic properties. Health Policy 57(2): 97-109.