Dr Lewis Mates
Member of the Department of History
School of Government and International Affairs
- Modern British political, social and industrial history
- Political Activism
- Political culture, regional history, particularly the North East
- Politics and death
- Mates, Lewis H. (2007). The Spanish Civil War and the British Left: Political Activism and the Popular Front. I.B. Tauris.
- Mates, Lewis & Davies, Douglas (2005). The Encyclopedia of Cremation. Ashgate.
Edited works: contributions
- Mates, Lewis (2005). 'Practical anti-fascism? The Spanish Aid Campaigns in Morth-East England, 1936-1939'. In British Fascism, the Labour Movement and the State. Copsey, Nigel & Renton, David London: Palgrave. 118-140.
Journal papers: academic
- Mates, Lewis (2006). 'Durham and South Wales Miners and the Spanish Civil War'. Twentieth Century British History 17(3): 373-395.
- Mates, L.H. (2006). 'The North-East and the Campaigns for the Popular Front, 1938-39'. Northern History 43(2): 273-301.
- Flinn, Andrew, Cohen, Gidon & Mates, Lewis (2005). 'National politicians and local political parties; Herbert Morrison and the South Lewisham Labour Party'. Lewisham History Journal 13: 29-60.
- Mates, Lewis (2004). 'A 'Most Fruitful Period'? The North East District Communist Party and the Popular Front Period, 1935-39'. North-East History 36: 54-98.
- Mates, Lewis (2004). 'Britain's Popular Front? The Case of the Tyneside Foodship Campaign, 1938-1939'. Labour History Review 69(1): 35-57.