Dr Christian Schweiger
(email at email@example.com)
Christian Schweiger holds a German MA in Politics, Sociology and English from the University of Regensburg and a PhD in Politics from the University of Derby, where he had worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant from 2000 until 2004.
Before joining SGIA in 2006 Christian had worked as a Research Fellow in the Employment Research Centre at Trinity College Dublin in the Republic of Ireland.
He currently coordinates the UACES collaborative research network 'The EU-27 Single Market in the Global Economy'. He is also co-coordinator of the UACES CRN 'Assessing Accession: Central and Eastern Europe in the EU'.
Christian is currently working on a book which examines the impact of the global financial crisis on European economies. The book analyses how the foundations of individual economic models in Europe have changed as a result of crisis and the impact this has on the 'Varieties of Capitalism' paradigm. A particular emphasis of the book will be put on policy responses to the crisis on the EU and the member state level.
In the course of 2013 he is working as a Visiting Fellow at the Central European Policy Institute (CEPI) within the Slovak Atlantic Commission in Bratislava under the Visegrad Fellowship Scheme.
CEPI Visegrad Visiting Fellowship
School of Government and International Affairs
- European Union (Institutions, Policies, Political Economy)
- Economic Globalisation
- British and German Politics
- Central and Eastern Europe
- Transatlantic Relations
- Schweiger, Christian (2007). Britain, Germany and the Future of the European Union. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Schweiger, Christian (2013), 'What about sovereignty? The political implications of the Eurozone fiscal compact', PSA 2013 Annual Conference. Cardiff, Wales.
- Schweiger, Christian (2012), 'International Perspectives: The European Union', The Arab Spring: Between Authoritarianism and Revolution. Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World, SGIA, Durham University.
- Schweiger, Christian (2011), 'Die Wahl zum britischen Unterhaus 2010', Department of Politics. University of Chemnitz, Germany.
- Schweiger, Christian (2011), 'From de-regulation towards re-regulation? The revision of the EU Single Market Policy Framework', UACES 2011 Annual Conference. University of Cambridge.
- Schweiger, Christian (2011), 'The EU after the economic crisis and Europe 2020: Towards a closer coordination of economic policy?', Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence. University of Manchester.
- Schweiger, Christian (2011), 'The EU2020 Strategy: Learning the Lessons from the Crisis', UACES collaborative research network on the 'EU-27 Single Market in the Global Economy' workshop 'Assessing the EU2020 Strategy'. Durham University.
- Schweiger, Christian (2011), 'The eurozone after the global economic crisis', European Society. University of St. Andrews, UK.
- Schweiger, Christian (2010), 'Strategic partnership options for Germany in the EU-27', 2010 Annual PSA Conference. University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Schweiger, Christian (2010), 'The performance of the CEE member states in the Single Market', UACES 'Assessing Accession' Research Network 3rd Annual Symposium. Bucharest, Romania.
- Schweiger, Christian (2009), 'Germany and the future enlargement of the EU: Towards finality?', 2009 Annual PSA Conference. University of Manchester, UK.
- Schweiger, Christian (2009), 'Perspectives for the Lisbon Strategy afer the Credit Crunch', ECPR General Conference 2009. University of Potsdam, Germany..
- Schweiger, Christian (2009), 'Poland's Role in the EU 27 - From Candidate Country Towards Leading Player?', UACES 'Assessing Accession' Research Network 2nd Annual Symposium. Gyor, Hungary.
- Schweiger, Christian (2008), 'The European Social Model and the Single Market policy framework', ESRC seminar 'The completion of the Single European Market - the EU policy framework'. Durham University.
- Schweiger, Christian (2007), 'Beyond growth and jobs: New domestic priorities in the member states', Workshop 'An alternative to the market: The social, political and economic role of public services in Europe'. European Trade Union Institute, Brussels, Belgium.
- Schweiger, Christian (2007), 'Germany's role in the leadership constellation of the EU-27', PSA Joint Specialist Group Workshop 'The Lisbon Treaty and the Future of the European Union'. University of Glasgow, UK.
- Schweiger, Christian (2007), 'Intrinsic Instability in the Semi-Sovereign State: The Lessons from the Merkel Grand Coalition Government', 57th Annual Conference of the British Political Studies Association. University of Bath.
- Schweiger, Christian (2007), 'The end of the "Volkspartei"? Changes in the German Party System under the current Grand Coalition Government, 33rd Annual Conference of the Association for the Study of German Politics. University of Edinburgh.
- Schweiger, Christian (2006), 'Decision-Making in the Single Market of 25, ERC Workshop, Employment in the Enlarging European Union- Towards a New Flexibility?. Trinity College, Dublin.
- Schweiger, Christian (2005), 'Au Revoir Paris? The New European Policy Approach of the CDU/CSU', Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, PSA German Politics Specialist Group Workshop..
- Schweiger, Christion (2005), 'Is the Tiger Eating its Children? The two sides of the Irish Employment Model', International Working Party on Labour Market Segmentation. Berlin, Germany.
- Schweiger, Christian (2005), 'The EU Social Model and the Internal Market Strategy', EU 6th Framework Project 'DYNAMO' Workshop. Budapest, Hungary.
Edited works: contributions
- Schweiger, Christian (2013). (forthcoming) 'The EU's multiple cores and the CEEs: A threat or an opportunity?. In Security Dimensions of Central and Eastern Europe. Visvizi, A. & Stepniewski, T. Institute of East-Central Europe Yearbook. 11 (5).
- Schweiger, Christian (2010). 'Germany'. In The 2009 Elections to the European Parliament. Lodge, Juliet Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan. 124-135.
- Schweiger, Christian (2009). 'Stemming the Eurosceptic Tide: Promoting European Studies in UK Higher Education'. In Focuses and Challenges in European Union Studies. Hurt, U. Tartu University: Eurocollege Tartu.
Edited works: journals
- Schweiger, Christian & Wittlinger, Ruth (2009). Editorial Foreword: The Internal Dynamics of the Enlarged Single European Market. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 5 (4): UACES (The University Association for Contemporary European Studies).
- Wittlinger, Ruth, Schweiger, Christian & Stirk, Peter M.R (2006). 'Germany in the 21st Century: In Search of a New Consensus?'. Debatte: Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe (Special Issue), 14 (3).
Journal papers: academic
- Schweiger, Christian (2013). (forthcoming) 'Poland's Role in the EU-27 - From candidate country towards leading player?'. Europe-Asia Studies
- Schweiger, Christian (2010). 'Towards Convergence? New Labour's Third Way and the SPD's Agenda 2010 in Comparative Perspective'. German Review of Social Policy = Sozialer Fortschritt 59(9): 244-253.
- Schweiger, Christian (2010). 'Towards Institutional Gridlock? The Limitations of Germany's Consensus Democracy'. German Policy Studies 6(1): 3-42.
- Schweiger, Christian (2009). Beyond Growth & Jobs? Perspectives for the EU Single Market Policy Framework. Journal of Contemporary European Research 5(4): 521-538.
- Schweiger, Christian (2006). 'Ghosts of 'Old Europe'? US-German Relations under the Red-Green Coalition in Berlin'. Debatte: Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe 14(3): 283-299.
- Schweiger, Christian (2005). 'The Role of the Modell Deutschland in the Enlarged European Union'. Debatte:Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe 13(3): 243-263.
- Schweiger, Christian (2004). 'British-German Relations in the European Union after the War on Iraq'. German Politics 13(1): 35-55.
Journal papers: online
- Schweiger, Christian (Published). Scottish Independence and Relations with the EU. e-International Relations
- Schweiger, Christian (Published). The Eurozone Crisis. The Ofi Press Magazine
- Schweiger, Christian (2013). 'Insiders vs. outsiders: The V4 in a changing EU'.
Available for media contact about:
- International: Politics, institutions & law: Globalisation
- International: Defence & disputes: Globalisation
- International: Business, economy & development: Globalisation
- International: Politics, institutions & law: Transatlantic Relations
- International: Defence & disputes: Transatlantic Relations
- Europe: Politics, institutions & law: Central and Eastern Europe
- Europe: Business, economy & development: Central and Eastern Europe
- Social Policy: Family, youth, race & gender issues: Germany
- Social Policy: Employment & development issues: Germany
- International politics: Germany
- Politics & Society: Germany
- Government: Germany
- Europe: Politics, institutions & law: European Union
- Europe: Business, economy & development: European Union
- Government: United Kingdom
- Social Policy: Employment & development issues: United Kingdom
- Politics & Society: United Kingdom