Dr Helen Hancock, PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Helen is a Research Methodologist specialising in health and medical research. She is Deputy Director of Research in the School and Research Methodologist in the Research Design Service and Durham Clinical Trials Unit. Helen is lead for the qualitative research module of the Masters programme in the School.
Centre for Integrated Health Care Research
Department of Anthropology
Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, School of
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Hancock, H.C., Mason, J.M., Roebuck, A. & Farrer, M. (2007). Thrombolysis for Patients Presenting With Acute Chest Pain? The Use of Clinical Judgement Analysis to Examine Clinicians’ Decisions. International Congress on Coronary Artery Disease, Venice.
- Hancock, H.C. & Easen, P.R. (2004). Evidence Based Practice: Great in Theory: Clinical Decision Making in a Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit. RCN International Research Conference, Cambridge.
- Hancock, H.C. & Easen, P.R. (2000). Rationality, Accountability and the Space in Between: Nurse Led Extubation in a Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit. Australian & New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting on Intensive Care, Canberra, Australia.
Journal papers: academic
- Mason, A. R. Mason, J., Cork, M., Hancock, H. & Dooley, G. (Published). Treatments for Chronic Plaque Psoriasis of the Scalp: a Systematic Review. British Journal of Dermatology
- Hancock, HC, Close, HJ, Mason, JM, Murphy, JJ, Fuat, A, Singh, RB, Wood, E, de Belder, M, Brennan, G, Hussain, N, Kumar, N, Wilson, DW & Hungin, APS (2013). High prevalence of undetected heart failure in long-term care residents: findings from the Heart Failure in Care Homes (HFinCH) study. European Journal of Heart Failure 15(2): 158-165.
- Jegatheeswaran, S, Mason J M, Hancock H C & Siriwardena, A K (2013). The Liver-First Approach to the Management of Colorectal Cancer With Synchronous Hepatic Metastases - A Systematic Review. JAMA Surgery 148(4): 385-391.
- Mason, A.R., Mason, J., Cork, M., Dooley, G. & Hancock, H. (2013). Topical treatments for chronic plaque psoriasis. The Cochrane Library
- Mason, James, Hancock, Helen, Close, Helen, Murphy, Jerry, Fuat, Ahmet, de Belder, Mark, Singh, Raj, Teggert, Andrew, Wood, Esther, Brennan, Gill, Hussain, Nehal, Kumar, Nitin, Manshani, Novin, Hodges, David, Wilson, Douglas & Hungin, Pali (2013). Utility of Biomarkers in the Differential Diagnosis of Heart Failure in Older People: Findings from the Heart Failure In Care Homes (HFinCH) Diagnostic Accuracy Study. PLOS ONE 8(1): e53560.
- Hancock, HC, Close, H, Mason, JM, Murphy, JJ, Fuat, A, de Belder, M, Hunt, T, Baker, A, Wilson, D & Hungin, A Pali S (2012). Feasibility of evidence-based diagnosis and management of heart failure in older people in care: a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMC Geriatrics (12): 70.
- Hancock, H. C., Mason, J. M. M. & Murphy, J. J. (2012). Using the method of judgement analysis to address variations in diagnostic decision making. BMC Research Notes 5: 139.
- Hancock, H.C. & Durham, L (2007). Critical Care Outreach: The Need for Effective Decision-Making in Clinical Practice (Part 1.). Intensive and Critical Care Nursing 23(1): 15-22.
- Hancock, H.C. & Durham, L. (2007). Critical Care Outreach: The Need for Effective Decision-Making in Clinical Practice (Part 2.). Intensive and Critical Care Nursing 23(2): 104-114.
- Hancock, H, Lloyd, H, Campbell, S, Turnock, C & Craig, S (2007). Exploring the challenges and successes of the lecturer practitioner role using a stakeholder evaluation approach. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 13(5): 758–764.
- Durham, L & Hancock, H (2006). Critical care outreach 1: an exploration of fundamental philosophy and underpinning knowledge. Nursing in Critical Care 11(5): 239-247.
- Durham, L & Hancock, H (2006). Critical care outreach 2: uncovering the underpinning philosophy and knowledge through collaborative reflection. Nursing in Critical Care 11(5): 248-259.
- Hancock, H & Campbell, S (2006). Developing the role of the healthcare assistant. Nursing Standard 20(49): 35-41.
- Redwood, S. Lloyd, H. Carr, E. Hancock, HC. , McSherry, R., Campbell, S. & Graham, I. (2006). Evaluating nurse consultants' work through key informant perceptions. Nursing Standard 21(17): 35-40.
- Hancock, HC, Roebuck, A, Farrer, M & Campbell, S (2006). Fully automatic external defibrillators in acute care: Clinicians' experiences and perceptions. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 5(3): 214-221.
- Hancock, H & Campbell, S (2006). Impact of the Leading an Empowered Organisation programme. Nursing Standard 20(19): 41-48.
- Hancock, H & Easen, P (2006). The decision-making process of nurses when extubating patients following cardiac surgery: An ethnographic study. International Journal of Nursing Studies 43(6): 693-705.
- Hancock, HC & Easen, PR (2004). Evidence-based practice - an incomplete model of the relationship between theory and professional work. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 10(2): 187-196.