Prof Michael Humphreys
Michael graduated in Chemical Engineering in 1970 from Leeds University and subsequently went to work for the National Coal Board. He moved into further education in 1974 teaching chemistry in Shipley and Harrogate colleges before taking up a post in Science Education at Bolton Institute of Higher Education. Over the next 16 years as a teacher trainer he worked on technical education projects in Egypt, Turkey, El Salvador and Tanzania completing a PhD by part time study in 1999. An awakened interest in management research and publication led to a lectureship at Nottingham University in 2001. Progressing through Senior Lecturer and Reader he was appointed as Chair in Organization Studies in 2007.
• Critical Studies Group
• Leadership and Followership
Michael’s current research interests include: studies of organizational identity, narrative and change, innovation and improvisation in teams, public sector management, storytelling and sensemaking and qualitative research methodology. He is also exploring links between music, particularly jazz, and the management of organizations.
- Humphreys, M. (2006). Teaching Qualitative Research Methods: I'm Beginning to See the Light. Qualitative Research in Organization and Management 1(3): 173-188.
Journal papers: academic
- Hirst, A. & Humphreys, M. (2013). Putting power in its place: The centrality of Edgelands. Organization Studies Forthcoming.
- Learmonth, M. & Humphreys, M. (2012). Autoethnography and Academic Identity: Glimpsing Business School Doppelgängers. Organization 19(1): 99-117.
- Humphreys, M., Ucbasaran, D. & Lockett, A. (2012). Sensemaking and Sensegiving Stories of Jazz Leadership. Human Relations 65(1): 41-62.
- Learmonth, M. & Humphreys, M. (2011). Blind spots in Dutton el als pathways for positive identity construction at work: "you've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative". Academy of Management Review Forthcoming.
- Currie, G., Humphreys, M., Waring, J. & Rowley, E (2009). Narratives of Professional Regulation and Patient Safety: The Case of Medical Devices in Anaesthesia. Health, Risk & Society 11(2): 117-135.
- Humphreys, M. & Brown, A.D (2008). An Analysis of Corporate Social Responsibility at Credit Line: A Narrative Approach. Journal of Business Ethics 80(3): 403-418.
- Currie, G., Humphreys, M. , Ucbasaran, D. & McManus, S (2008). Entrepreneurial Leadership in the English Public Sector: Paradox or Possibility?. Public Administration 86(4): 987-1008.
- Coupland, C., Brown, A.D., Daniels, K & Humphreys, M. (2008). Saying it with feeling: Analysing speakable emotions. Human Relations 61(3): 327-353.
- Humphreys, M. & Hoque, K. (2007). Have Lecturers Lost their Voice? Involvement and Participation in the Devolved Further Education Sector. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 18(7): 1199.
- Moufahim, M., Humphreys, M., Mitussis, D. & Fitchett, J. (2007). Interpreting Discourse: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Marketing of an Extreme Right Party. Journal of Marketing Management 23(5-6): 537.
- Gurney, P. & Humphreys, M. (2006). Consuming Responsibility: The search for value at Laskarina Holidays. Journal of Business Ethics 64(1): 83.
- Brown, A.D. & Humphresys, M. (2006). Organizational Identity and Place: A discursive Exploration of Hegemony and Resistance. Journal of Management Studies 43(2): 231-257.
- Learmonth, M. & Humphries, M. (2006). The 2nd International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry: Reflections on the Value for Organization and Management Scholars. Qualitative Research in Organization and Management 1(2): 135-137.
- Humphreys, M. (2005). Getting Personal: Reflexivity in Autoethographic Vignettes. Qualitative Inquiry 11(6): 840-860.
- Brown, A.D., Humphreys, M. & Gurney, P. (2005). Narrative, Identity and Change: A Case Study of Laskarina Holidays. Journal of Organizational Change Management 18(4): 312-326.
- Hoque, K., Davis, S. & Humphreys, M. (2004). Freedom to do what you are told: senior management team autonomy in an acute NHS Trust. Public Administration 82(2): 355-375.
- Brown, A.D. & Humphreys, M. (2003). Epic and tragic tales Making sense of change. Journal of Applied Behavioural Science 39(2): 121-144.
- Humphreys, M. & Brown, A.D. (2002). Dress and Identity: A Turkish Case Study. Journal of Management Studies 39(7): 927-952.
- Humphreys, M. & Brown, A.D. (2002). Narratives of Organizational Identity and Identification: A Case Study of Hegemony and Resistance. Organization Studies 23: 421-447.
- Brown, A.D. & Humphreys, M. (2002). Nostalgia and the Narrativization of Identity: A Turkish Case. British Journal of Management 13(2): 141-159.
- Humphreys, M. & Hyland, T. (2002). Theory and Performance in Teaching. Educational Studies 28(1): 5-15.