"An undergraduate module is defined as a study unit comprising 200 hours of SLAT (Student Learning Activity Time) per annum and lasts one academic year." Durham (University Learning and Teaching Handbook). The total "contact time" that a student spends in lectures, labs, tutorials, etc. is listed for each Physics Department module in the Faculty Handbook. In most cases this amounts to around 30% of the total SLAT. You would be wise to plan how best to use the remaining 70% (140 hours for a 20-credit module, i.e., 6.4 hours per week of a 22-week academic year per 20-credit module). Your tutor will be able to help you with this. This time is allocated within the module to be spent, not only in preparing submitted work (e.g. essays, lab reports, assessed problems), but in private study of the lecture course material and in revision. You are advised to organise your time in such a way that you are able to devote a number of hours each week to reviewing your lecture notes, reading around the subject and working through exercises extra to those which have been set by the lecturer. By so doing you will be developing your study and personal management skills and be giving yourself the best opportunity to gain a firm understanding of the topics as they unfold. By attending to any difficulties or misconceptions you have as the course progresses you will be in an excellent position at the end of the course to make the most of your revision time. P lanning and preparation are the key to reducing examination stress.
Sir James Knott Room
The Sir James Knott Room (Room 132, on the first floor of the Rochester Building) is open during term time from 9.00 a.m. until 5.00 p.m. and provides a place of study within the Department for your use. Please respect the right of others to work in quietness. The Room contains a collection of texts of use to undergraduates, but this library is not maintained as a current reference source. It is also occasionally used for departmental meetings and other activities, during which times it is unavailable for use as private study space.