Durham is one of the leading physics and astronomy departments in the UK. Each year we admit about 140 students to study for degrees in Physics, Physics & Astronomy and Theoretical Physics. Our research ranges from fundamental topics such as elementary particle physics and cosmology to applied areas such as material physics and biophysics.
The Department incorporates the Ogden Centre for Fundamental Physics, home to the Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology and to the Institute for Computational Cosmology. The Ogden Centre is also the base for our innovative outreach programme for school children and their teachers.
RAE08: The Physics Department
The Department of Physics at Durham University participated in RAE08 and received detailed feedback in January 2009.
90% of all of the research submitted by staff across Durham University was assessed as being at least of International Quality (2* and above) in terms of originality, significance and rigour. Of the research assessed from Physics, 95% is at least of International Quality, a result which is not bettered by any physics department in the country.
Wednesday 29 May 2013
- Centre for Advanced Instrumentation Seminar Programme 1:00pm, PH205
Friday 31 May 2013
Wednesday 5 June 2013
- Board of Examiners Scrutiny Panel Meeting 10:00am to 1:00pm, PH4 (Seminar Room)
- Centre for Advanced Instrumentation Seminar 1:00pm to 2:00pm, OC218 (Ogden Conference Room)
- Undergraduate Staff-Student Consultative Committee 2:00pm to 6:00pm, PH221 (Bransden Room)
- Health and Safety Committee 2:00pm to 6:00pm, PH4
Thursday 6 June 2013
- Board of Examiners in Physics 2:00pm to 6:00pm, PH221 (Bransden Room)
Contact DetailsDepartment of Physics
Durham DH1 3LE