Find an expert
Welcome to the Durham University Media Guide to Expertise, a resource for journalists seeking informed comment on a wide variety of topical issues.
To find an expert in a specialist area, please use the 'search' facility to search by keyword or expert surname.
Professor Paul Starkey, MA, DPhil Oxon
(email at email@example.com)
Available for media contact about:
- Middle East: Arabic
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic language and literature
- Arabic literature
- Arabic/English translation
- Starkey, Paul G (2006). Modern Arabic Literature. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Starkey, Paul G & El Kholy, Nadia (2002). Egypt Through the Eyes of Travellers. Cambridge: Astene.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (2001). Interpreting the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East: v. 2. Durham Middle East Monographs Series. Ithaca Press.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (2001). Unfolding the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East. Durham Middle East Monographs Series. Ithaca Press.
- Starkey, Paul G & Julie Scott Meisami (1998). Encyclopedia of Arabic Literature (Two Volumes). Routledge.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (1998). Travellers in Egypt. I B Tauris.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2006). Intertextuality and the Arabic literary tradition in Edwar al-Kharrat's 'Stones of Bobello'. In Intertextuality in modern Arabic literature since 1967. Deheuvels, Luc., Michalak-Pikulska, Barbara. & Starkey, Paul. Durham: Durham Modern Languages Series. 2: 149-159.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2003). Crisis and Memory in Rashid al-Daif’s Dear Mr Kawabata: An Essay in Narrative Disorder. In Crisis and Memory: The Representation of Space in Modern Levantine Narrative. Seigneurie, K. Wiesbaden: Reichert Verlag. 115-130.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2001). Fact and Fiction in al-Saq ala al-Saq. In Writing the Self: Autobiographical Writing in Modern Arabic Literature. De Moor, Ed, Ostie, Robin & Wild, Stefan Saqi Books.
- Starkey, Paul G. (1998). Modern Egyptian Culture in the Arab World. In The Cambridge History of Egypt. II: Modern Egypt from 1517 to the End of the Twentieth Century. Daly, M. W. & Petry, Carl F. New York: Cambridge University Press. 463.
Edited works: journals
- Starkey, Paul. (2006). Special Issue: Identities Remembered, Discovered, Invented: hero and character in modern Arabic literature. Middle Eastern Literatures, 9 (2): Routledge.
Essays in edited volumes
- Starkey, Paul G. (2001). Islamic Egypt in the Modern Egyptian Novel. In The Historiography of Islamic Egypt (c.950-1800). Kennedy, Hugh. Leiden: Brill. 31: 251-262.
Journal papers: academic
- Starkey, Paul. (2006). 'Heroes' and Characters in the Novels of Sun'allah Ibrahim. Middle Eastern Literatures 9(2): 147-157.
- Starkey, Paul G. (1997). Some Aspects of the French Colonial Legacy in the Tunisian Novel of the 1960s and 1970s. Oriente Moderno XVI(2-3): 151-161.
- Starkey, Paul G (1987). From the Ivory Tower: Critical Study of Tawfiq Al-Hakim. Garnet Publishing.