Staff in the Department of Hispanic Studies
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Dr Santiago Fouz Hernandez, BA Santiago de Compostela; MA, PhD Newcastle upon Tyne
I have recently started a new project, funded by the British Academy, on Spanish erotic cinema of the democratic period. The first outcomes of this project include the planned monograph The Films of Bigas Luna (under contract with Manchester University Press) and a workshop at Harvard University that took place in October 2012, while I was based there as a visiting scholar.
I am also working with Lucille Cairns on the joint edition of a book entitled Re-thinking 'Identities': Western Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium (under contract with Peter Lang), about the re-shapping of identities (sexual, gender, ethnic, national, corporeal) in the transnational context of the 21st Century. The book includes contributions by members and guest speakers of the MLAC research group on 'Culture and DIfference'.
My recent work includes the forthcoming book Cuerpos de cine: masculinidades y deseo en el cine y la cultura popular. The book includes chapters on the work of key contemporary Spanish film directors (Almodóvar, Amenábar, Bigas Luna, Ventura Pons); Hollywood Epic films; British 'costume dramas' of the 1980s and 1990s; comics and pop music videos. My previous work in this area has produced various academic artcles, the co-authored book Live Flesh: The Male Body in Contemporary Spanish Cinema (London and New York: I B Tauris, 2007), and two collections: the book Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema (London and New York: I B Tauris, 2009) and a special issue of the journal Studies in Hispanic Cinemas (3.3; 2007).
My other main research interest is popular music, especially its connections with visual culture. I have co-edited a book on subcultural aspects of the work of Madonna (Madonna's Drowned Worlds: New Approaches to Her Cultural Transformations (1983-2003) (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2004), an article about the Spanish 'pop' musical 'Hoy no me puedo levantar' (Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies (10.2; 2009)) and a co-authored book chapter on voice, nostalgia and transgender performers in contemporary Spanish cinema (2012).
I am book reviews editor for the journal Studies in Hispanic Cinemas and I have acted as referee for books published by Edinburgh University Press, Hodder Arnold, I B Tauris and Temple Univesity Press. I have also reviewed journal articles submitted to journals including Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, Comunicación y sociedad, Feminist Media Studies, Hispanic Research Journal, Hispanic Review, International Journal of Iberian Studies, Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies, Revista canadiense de estudios hispánicos, Scope, Secuencias, and Studies in Hispanic Cinemas.
Research Groups I am a member of the 'Culture and Difference' and 'Visual and Performance' research groups in the School, and of the university's Centre for Sex, Gender and Sexualities (http://www.dur.ac.uk/csgs/).
I am a member of the AHGBI (Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland), ACIS (Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies), NECS (European Network of Cinema Studies), SCMS (Society for Cinema and Media Studies) and of the research group Cos i Textualitat (Body and Textuality), based at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
I coordinate the 'Representing Otherness' core module of the MA in Culture and Difference.
I am currently supervising a PhD thesis on Spanish Queer Cinema and co-supervising a thesis on Italian horror film. I am willing to supervise PhD thesis and Masters by Research on topics related to Contemporary Spanish Cinema and Contemporary Spanish Popular Culture, with a special focus on issues of gender, sexuality, the body and national identities.
- Culture and Difference
- Visual and Performance
- Contemporary European Cinema (Spanish and British)
- Gender, sexuality and the body
- Popular music
- 2011 'Hermaphroditism, Medical Science and Sexual Identity in Spain, 1850-1960, Richard Cleminson and Francisco Vázquez García (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2009)', International Journal of Iberian Studies 23, pp. 207-209
- 2010 ''100 Years of Spanish Cinema Tatjana Pavlović, Inmaculada Álvarez, Rosana Blanco-Cano, Anitra Grisales, Alejandra Osorio & Alejandra Sánchez (2009) Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell'', Historical Journal of Film Radio and Television 30.3.
- 2008 'The Cinema of Alex de la Iglesia, Peter Buse, Núria Triana-Toribio and Andrew Willis (2007) Manchester: Manchester University Press', International Journal of Iberian Studies 21.2 pp. 174-75
- 2007 'Una historia propia: La memoria homosexual en España [Review article of 5 books by ARTURO ARNALTE (2003), JORDI PETIT (2003 and 2004), ALBERTO MIRA (2004) and FERNANDO OLMEDA (2004)]', Tesserae: Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies 13, pp. 97-103
- 2006 'REVIEW: Cortés, J M (2004) Hombres de mármol: códigos de representación y estrategias de poder de la masculinidad, Barcelona and Madrid: Egales', Studies in Hispanic Cinemas 3, pp. 205-209
- 2006 'Review: Hombres de mármol: códigos de representación y estrategias del poder de la masculinidad', Tesserae: Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies 12, pp. 93-97
- 2006 'Review: Lehman, Peter (2007) Running Scared: Masculinity and The Representation of the Male Body, new edition. Detroit: Wayne State University Press', Studies in Hispanic Cinemas 3, pp. 209-214
- Forthcoming Cuerpos de cine: masculinidades y deseo en el cine y la cultura popular.
- Planned The Films of Bigas Luna, Manchester University Press.
- 2007 (co-authored with Martínez-Expósito, Alfredo) Live Flesh: The Male Body in Contemporary Spanish Cinema, IB Tauris, 278 pp.
- Planned (co-edited with Cairns, Lucille) Re-thinking ‘Identities’ Western Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium, Peter Lang.
- 2009 Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, 288 pp.
- 2004 (co-edited with Jarman-Ivens, Freya) Madonna's Drowned Worlds: New Approaches to Her Cultural Transformations 1983-2003, Ashgate.
- 2012 ''Haptic Visuality in the Recent Work of Bigas Luna', Columbia Film Seminar, Columbia University, USA. 6 December 2012'.
- 2012 ''Homoerotic Desire in the Films of Ventura Pons', paper at the 'Ventura Pons: The Unconventional Gaze of Catalan Cinema', University of Denver, Colorado, USA, October 4-6, 2012'.
- 2012 'Cine y Erotismo. 'Spanish Cinema Today' conference, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 1 NOVEMBER 2012'.
- 2012 'El cuerpo como texto en el cine español contemporáneo, Tulane University (New Orleans), 14 NOVEMBER 2012'.
- 2012 'Eroticism and Haptic Visuality in the Films of Bigas Luna, research seminar, Department of Hispanic Studies.the University of Birmingham, UK, 17 May 2012'.
- 2012 'Eroticism in Contemporary Spanish Cinema. Coordination and contribution to workshop. Harvard University 19 October 2012'.
- 2012 'Triggering the Senses: Eroticism and Haptic Visuality in the Recent Work of Bigas Luna, paper and coordination of panel on Eroticism in Spanish cinema with Brad Epps, Tatjana Pavlovic and Jorge Pérez. Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Boston, MA, USA 21-25 March 2012'.
- 2011 '´Drag and Popular Music in Spanish Cinema of the 2000s’, paper and coordination of panel (with Teresa Fraile) ‘Aesthetic Debates on Spanish Film Music During the “Pop Age” ’ NECS (European Network for Cinema Studies) Annual Conference, University of London 23-26 June 2011'.
- 2011 (co-authored with Gras-Velázquez, Adrián) '´Screening Chueca: Marking the Queer Territory on Spanish Cinema of the 2000s´, Transnationalising LGBT Studies, University of Syracuse at Madrid, 3-5 July 2011'.
- 2010 '‘Epic Masculinities’, paper and co-ordination of panel ‘Male Bodies in Contemporary World Cinema’ at ‘Generar Cuerpos: Producciones Discursivas Sexuadas’, ‘Los Textos del Cuerpo’ 2nd International Conference, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain, 30 November-3 December 2010'.
- 2010 'Gazing at Gladiators Then and Now [and coordination of the panel Re-visiting Hollywood Masculinities]; SCMS Conference, Los Angeles USA 17-21 March'.
- 2010 'Transgender Performers in the Spanish Cinema of the Democratic Period: La mala educación (Pedro Almodóvar, 2004) and 20 centímetros (Salazar, 2005)’, AHGBI annual conference, Kings College London, London UK, 12-14 April'.
- 2009 '‘Chuecatown: Marking the Queer Territory in Madrid’,‘Geographical Imaginaries and Hispanic Film’ Conference, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA, 4-7 November'.
- 2009 '‘Sex in Barcelona: Flesh and the City in the Films of Ventura Pons’, talk at the ‘Queering World Cinemas’ Symposium at the School of Languages, University of Bristol. 11 March'.
- 2009 (co-authored with Biddle, Ian D) 'Transgender performers in Spanish Cinema of the democratic period (Contribution to the panel ‘Popular music and national identities after the dictatorships in Spain, Portugal and Latin America’). 15 Biennial IASPM International Conference, Liverpool, 13-17 July'.
- 2008 '‘La mirada no hegemónica en el cine de y sobre la movida: de Almodóvar a El Calentito’; Movida(s) Mujeres: Música y Transgresión en la Transición Española, Universidad de verano Rafael Altamira, Universidad de Alicante, Spain, 24 July 2008'.
- 2008 ''Ay, qué pesado: Nostalgia, Memories and Lies in the ‘Mecano musical’', paper at the SIBE (Sociedad de Etnomusicologia)/IASPM (International Association for the Study of Popular Music) Conference, Salamanca (Spain), 6-9 March 2008'.
- 2008 ''Caresses: The Male Body in the Films of Ventura Pons', Contemporary Spanish Film Symposium, Newcastle University, 3 July 2008'.
- 2008 ''Javier Bardem and the (Dis)abled Body in Contemporary Spanish Cinema', research seminar at the School of Languages, Literatures and Peforming Arts, Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 17 April 2008'.
- 2008 ''Queer Bodies in Contemporary Spanish Cinema', paper at the Queer Studies Easter Symposium, Ciudad de Mexico (Mexico) 23-29 March 2008'.
- 2007 ''(In)vulnerable Teenage Bodies in Cuarta Planta (dir. Antonio Mercero, 2003)'. Paper at Cuerpo/Imagen: The Body in Hispanic Visual Cultures Conference, University of Cambridge, UK, 21 April 2007'.
- 2007 ''Me cuesta tanto olvidarte: Consuming the movida in the 21st Century'. Paper at the AHGBI Annual Conference, University of Aberdeen 2-4 April 2007'.
- 2007 ''The Gay Male Body in Recent Spanish Cinema'. Paper at the 'I Congreso Internacional Los Textos del Cuerpo', Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain, 26-30 March 2007'.
- 2007 ''The global image of youth'. Contribution to panel (chair Timothy Shary) at the SCMS (Society for Cinema and Media Studies) Annual Conference, Chicago, USA, 8-11 March 2007'.
- 2006 ''Broken Bodies', Introductory talk at 'The Politics of Memory: New Documentaries on the Spanish Civil War and the Franco Era', UCLA, USA'.
- 2006 ''National Bodies: Stereotypical Males in Spanish Cinema'; University of California Santa Barbara USA'.
- 2007 Studies in Hispanic Cinemas, Intellect.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- 2005 'Male Bodies That Matter: Masculinity and Trauma in the Films of Alejandro Amenábar, ed by Archer, Robert Astvaldsson, Valdi Boyd, Stephen Thompson, Michael', pp. 523-530
- 2005 (co-authored with Jarman Ivens, Freya) 'Re-inventing the Phallus: Madonna and Female Masculinity', pp. 212-219
Essays in edited volumes
- 2012 (co-authored with Biddle, Ian D) 'Voicing gender: transgender performance and the national imaginary in the Spanish cinema of the democratic era', in Rob Stone & Lisa Shaw (eds.), Screening Songs in Hispanic and Lusophone Cinema, Manchester University Press, pp. 30-50
- 2011 'Ensnared Between Pleasure and Politics: Looking for Chicas Bigas Luna, Re-viewing Bambola', in Davies, Ann (ed.), Spain on Screen Developments in Contemporary Spanish Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 93-113
- 2011 'Queer in Spain: Identity Without Limits', in Lisa Downing & Robert Gillet (eds.), Queer in Europe, Ashgate, pp. 189-202
- 2009 '‘Caresses: The Male Body in the Films of Ventura Pons’', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, pp. 143-157
- 2009 '‘Introduction: Mysterious Skin’', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, pp. 1-10
- 2008 ''Hyper: The Gay Male Body in Recent Spanish Cinema'', in Clúa, Isabel & Pitarch, Pau (eds.), Pasen y vean, Estudios culturales - Colección Los textos del cuerpo, UAB, pp. 49-54
- 2008 'School is Out: the English 'coming out' films of the 1990s', in Griffiths, Robin (ed.), Queer Cinema in Europe, Intellect Books.
- 2007 'Boys will be Men: Teen Masculinities in Recent Spanish Cinema', in Shary, Timothy & Seibel, Alexandra. (eds.), Youth Culture in Global Cinema, University of Texas Press, pp. 222-237
- 2007 (co-authored with Perriam, Chris) 'El deseo sin ley: la representación de 'la homosexualidad' en el cine español de los años noventa', in Rodríguez, Félix & Simonis, Angie. (eds.), Cultura, homosexualidad, homofobia, Laertes, pp. 61-79
- 2005 'Javier Bardem: Body and Space', in Everett, Wendy. & Goodbody, Axel. (eds.), Revisiting Space Space and Place in European Cinema, Peter Lang, pp. 187-207
- 2004 'Crossing the Border(line): Madonna's Encounter with the Hispanic', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago. & Jarman-Ivens, Freya. (eds.), Madonna's Drowned Worlds: New Approaches to Her Cultural Transformations, 1983-2003, Ashgate, pp. 138-157
- 2004 (co-authored with Jarman-Ivens, Freya) 'Introduction: Re-Invention? Madonna’s Drowned Worlds Resurface', in Fouz Hernández, Santiago & Jarman-Ivens, Freya (eds.), Madonna’s Drowned Worlds: New Approaches to Her Cultural Transformations 1983-2003, Ashgate, pp. xv-xxii
- 2000 (co-authored with Perriam, Chris) 'Beyond Almodóvar: ‘homosexuality’ in Spanish cinema of the 1990s', in Alderson, David & Anderson, Linda (eds.), Territories of Desire in Queer Culture: Refiguring Contemporary Boundaries, Manchester University Press, pp. 96-111
- 1999 'All that Glitters is not Gold: Reading Javier Bardem’s Body in Bigas Luna’s Golden Balls', in Rix, Rob & Rodríguez-Saona, Roberto (eds.), Spanish Cinema: Calling the Shots, Trinity and All Saints, pp. 47-66
Journal papers: academic
- 2011 'Assimilation and Its Discontents: Representations of Gay Men in Spanish Cinema of the 2000s', Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos 35, pp. 81-104
- 2009 '‘Me cuesta tanto olvidarte: Mecano and the Movida Remixed, Revisited and Repackaged’', Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies 10, pp. 167-187
- 2007 'Live Flesh?: The Male Body in the Films of Pedro Almodóvar', Journal of Symbolism pp. 83-108
- 2005 'Phallic Matters? Ewan McGregor and the Representation of the Male Body in Peter Greenaway’s The Pillow Book (1996)', Men and Masculinities 8, pp. 133-147
- 2004 'Identity without Limits: Queer Debates and Representation in Contemporary Spain', Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies 10, pp. 63-82
- 2003 'School is Out: the British 'coming out' films of the 1990s', New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporary Film 1, pp. 149-164
- 2003 'Sociedad, Cultura, política y teoría gay en España: Entrevista con Ricardo Llamas', Tesserae: Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies 9, pp. 81-97
- 2001 'Water Sports: Nature, the Male Body and Homoerotic Voyeurism in the Film Adaptations of E. M. Forster’s Fiction', Moenia: Revista Lucense de Lingüística y Literatura 6, pp. 397-410
- 2000 '¿Generación X? Spanish Urban Youth Culture At The End Of The Century In Mañas’s/Armendáriz’s Historias Del Kronen', Romance Studies 18, pp. 83-98
- Body and Textuality Research Group
- Centre for Sex, Gender and Sexualities
- Culture and Difference Research Group
- Live Flesh
- Live Flesh: AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
- MA in Culture and Difference
- Madonna's Drowned Worlds: AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
- Mysterious Skin
- Mysterious Skin AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
Available for media contact about:
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Spanish popular music
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Issues of gender and sexuality in contemporary Spain
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Contemporary Spanish cinema
- Music: Madonna
- 2011: History of Eroticism in Spanish Cinema (£7150.00 from The British Academy)
- 2008: QUEER BODIES IN CONTEMPORARY SPANISH CINEMA (£700.00 from The British Academy)
- 2005: BEFORE AND AFTER THE QUIXOTE (£200.00 from The British Academy)
- 2005: REPRESENTATIONS OF THE MALE BODY (£14013.00 from Arts & Humanities Research Board)
- 2005: REPRESENTATIONS OF THE MALE BODY (£4100.00 from The British Academy)
- 2005: UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND TRAVEL SCHEME (£900.00 from The University of Queensland)