Note: This module, which until 2013 has been fully funded by the Institut Ramón Llul, is offered subject to the continued availability of a Catalan lector and appropriate sources of alternative funding. The School of Modern Languages and Cultures cannot guarantee its on-going availability to students returning from their Year Abroad.
About this module
This module is offered to students who have completed Catalan Beginners (SPAN2061), many of whom will have increased their knowledge of Catalan and Catalan speaking territories during their Year Abroad. The module aims to develop students’ written and oral Catalan to an advanced level of competence and to enable them to discuss issues associated with a selection of key 20th-century Catalan literary texts.
Teaching and Learning
There are two contact hours per week, plus six additional classes per year focusing on the literary texts. Classes are taught in Catalan. Attendance will be monitored in all classes.
- 15-minute oral examination (20%)
- 1200-word essay in Catalan (30%)
- 2-hour written examination (50%)
- Bastons Vilallonga, Nuria et al (2011), Gramàtica pràctica del català. Barcelona, Teide.
- Monzó, Quim (1993), El perquè de tot plegat. Barcelona, Quaderns Crema.
- Ruiz Zafón, Carlos (2006). L’ombra del vent. Barcelona: Planeta.
The recommended dictionary for this level is:
- Routledge (1994), Catalan Dictionary: Catalan-English, English-Catalan, London: Routledge. ISBN 9780415108027
Dr Mike Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org), room A10, Elvet Riverside I
Mr Josep Cru (email@example.com), room ER210, Elvet Riverside II