Note: This module, which until 2013 has been fully funded by the Institut Ramón Llul, is offered subject to the continued availability of a Catalan lector and appropriate sources of alternative funding. The School of Modern Languages and Cultures cannot guarantee either its on-going availability to incoming students or its continuation in final-year as Advanced Catalan. Please note that final-year students are not permitted to take this module.
About this module
This module is designed as an introduction to the Catalan language and is available to students with an A-level pass (or equivalent) in a European language. The module aims to develop written, aural, and oral competence in Catalan, to prepare students for further study of the language, and to provide a broad grounding in Catalan culture.
Teaching and Learning
There are two contact hours per week devoted to language learning. Classes are in English and Catalan. Attendance will be monitored in all classes.
- 15-minute oral examination (25%)
- 1-hour listening comprehension examination (25%)
- 1-hour written examination (25%)
- 750-word summative essay in Catalan (25%)
- Mas, Martha; Albert Vilagrasa and others (2005), Veus I: Curs communicatiu de català. Llibre de l'aumne. Publicacions de l'Abadia de Montserrat, Barcelona, ISBN 9788484157427
The recommended dictionary for this level is:
- Sagoristà i Artigas, Marc (ed.) (1997), Diccionari basic català-anglès, angles-català, Barcelona: Enciclopèdia Catalana. ISBN 9788441225824
However, if you are planning to take Catalan (Advanced) in the final year, you may prefer to buy the dictionary recommended for that level now:
- Routledge (1994), Catalan Dictionary: Catalan-English, English-Catalan, London: Routledge. ISBN 9780415108027