Russian Language 2B
Pre-requisites: RUSS1042 (Russian Language 1B)
About this module
The aim of this module is to develop the students' expertise in the Russian language by extending their knowledge of grammar and vocabulary, and to develop their skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking. The intention is to use the language actively and to instil an awareness of its potential for expression.
Teaching and Learning
There are five weekly class hours, including a lecture on Grammar, and practical sessions on translation, composition/essay writing, audio-visual comprehension and oral. Attendance will be monitored in all classes.
- 2-hour written examination I (37.5%)
- 2-hour written examination II (37.5%)
- 15-minute oral examination (25%)
During the second year students will be introduced to a range of topics and skills that will be directly relevant to their preparation for their year abroad.
A range of authentic texts are provided in the course booklet.
- Wade, Terrence, A Comprehensive Russian Grammar (Blackwell, 2000)
- Dunn, John and Khairov, Shamil, Modern Russian Grammar: A Practical Guide (Routledge, 2009)
- Bitekhtina, Natalia, et al. A Living Russian Grammar (CREF, 2002)
- Wade, Terence. Using Russian Vocabulary (CUP, 2009)
- Le Fleming, Svetlana and Stephen, A Guide to Essay Writing in RussianI (Bristol Classical Press, 1996)
Mrs Branka Grundy (firstname.lastname@example.org), room A28, Elvet Riverside I