Current Postgraduate Students
Mr Adrián Gras-Velázquez
I am currently in my third full-time year of my PhD studies at Durham, completing a thesis on the representation of the gay male character in Spanish cinema. The core research question of my project is: How have representations of gay men in Spanish cinema changed over time since the transition to democracy? National cinemas are invariably shaped by, and in turn shape, the social political and legal contexts in which they were forged, and Spain's cinematic traditions are no exception. My aim in this project is to explore the interrelationships between the changing legal, discursive and visual frameworks and Spanish filmic conventions. Grounded in cultural and film studies and informed by feminist and, especially, queer theories, my study explores three main areas or research: space, family and the body.
Awarded with the Durham-Harvard Scholarship, I have spent the 2011/2012 Fall semester at Harvard University furthering my PhD research and contributing to the delivery of the Spanish programme. While at Harvard I have also been participating in the GSAS Iberoamerican Film Studies Workshop as a Visiting Fellow Scholar. At Durham I am a member of the Centre for Sex, Gender and Sexualities and of the 'Culture and Difference' research group in the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.
Publications under review:
Gras-Velázquez, Adrián 'The Doomed Body: Queer Bodies in Contemporary Spanish Cinema'.
Fouz-Hernández, Santiago & Gras-Velázquez, Adrián 'Screening Chueca: Marking the Queer Territory in Spanish Cinema of the 2000s', to appear in a book co-edited by Lucille Cairns and Santiago Fouz-Hernandez.
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián & Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (2011), Screening Chueca: Marking the Queer Territory in Spanish Cinema of the 2000s. Toward Trans/national Scholarly and Activist Kinships Conference, Syracuse University, Madrid, Spain, Toward Trans/national Scholarly and Activist Kinships. Syracuse University, Madrid, Spain.
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián (2010), Boystown: Representations of Queer Space in Recent Spanish Cinema. NERFS Symposium (North East Research into Film Studies), University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK, NERFS Symposium (North East Research into Film Studies). University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK..
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián (2010), Boystown: Representations of Queer Space in Recent Spanish Cinema. Spaces and Flows Conference, University of California, Los Angeles, USA, Spaces and Flows Conference. University of California, Los Angeles, USA.
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián (2010), Franco's Legacy: Gay Diseased Bodies in Spanish Cinema. 9th International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities, Universidad de Granada, Spain, 9th International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities. Universidad de Granada, Spain.
Journal papers: academic
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián (2012). Queering and De-Queering the Home: Private and Public Space in Contemporary Spanish Cinema. The International Journal of the Humanities
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián (2011). Boystown: Representations of Queer Space in Recent Spanish Cinema. Spaces and Flows: An International Journal of Urban and Extraurban Studies 1(1): 97-108.
- Gras-Velázquez, Adrián & Gras-Velázquez, Agueda (2010). Proyectos Europeos Para la Enseñanza de Matemáticas, Ciencias y Tecnología. Revista A Ciencia Cierta 39.