Staff in the Department of French
Dr Laura Campbell
My research focuses primarily on translation, rewriting, and intercultural mediation in medieval literature. I am currently working on a monograph based on my PhD thesis, which examines reworkings of the Merlin story in the Old French Vulgate Cycle and later Italian vernacular and Franco-Italian adaptations. Particularly, I am interested in the way in which semiotic translation theory can be used to elucidate patterns of influence and reinterpretation underlying the transmission of narratives across medieval cultural and linguistic boundaries, which tended to be more fluid and less easily-defined than in later periods.
- 2013 'Christine Ferlampin-Acher: 'Perceforest’ et ‘Zéphir’ propositions autour d’un récit arthurien bourguignon', French Studies 67, pp. 86-87
- 2011 'Rosalind Brown-Grant: French Romance of the Later Middle Ages: Gender, Morality and Desire', French Studies 65, pp. 86-87
- 2008 'Jacques Dalarun: Robert of Arbrissel: Sex, Sin, and Salvation in the Middle Ages, trans. Bruce L. Venarde', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 'Raffa, Guy P: Danteworlds: A Reader's Guide to the Inferno', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 'Robin Kirkpatrick: Dante: The Divine Comedy 2: Purgatorio', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2012 '‘Merlin in Florence: Cultural Mediation in an Italian Translation of the Vulgate Estoire de Merlin’, Conference of the International Arthurian Society (British Branch), Wolfson College, Oxford'.
- 2012 '‘Paulino Pieri: a Medieval Tuscan Mediator of French Literary Culture’, III International Conference Translating Voices, Translating Regions, Durham University'.
- 2011 ''From Ferrara to Firenze: Paulino Pieri's Translation of the Prophecies de Merlin, International Congress on Medieval Studies, WMU, Kalamazoo'.
- 2011 ''Translating Satan: The Portrayal of Merlin's Father in the Merlin en Prose and the Storia di Merlino', Conference of the International Arthurian Society, University of Bristol'.
- 2010 ''Cursory Conclusion: The Independent Conclusion of the Second Continuation of Perceval in Bern MS 113'; paper given at 'Session in Honour of Keith Busby III: The Manuscript Context', International Congress on Medieval Studies, WMU, Kalamazoo [May 2010]'.
- 2010 ''The Translatio of Transvestism: Translating Problems of Signification Miniatures Depicting the Story of Gristandole'; paper given at the Symposium on Translatio, International Medieval Society, Paris [June, 2010]'.
- 2009 ''Une fontaine dont li uiuiers estoit moult biaus et moult cler: Viviane and the Fountain motif in the Estoire de Merlin; paper given at the Conference of the International Arthurian Society, Durham University [September 2009]'.
- 2009 ''Virile Virgin versus Boine Clergiesse: The Masculinisation of Viviane in the Vulgate Estoire de Merlin and the Post-Vulgate Suite du Merlin'; paper given at the International Congress on Medieval Studies, WMU, Kalamazoo [May 2009]'.
Journal papers: academic
- Forthcoming ''The Devil’s in the Detail: Translating Merlin's Father from the Merlin en Prose in Paulino Pieri’s Storia di Merlino'', Arthuriana pp.
- 2009 'Reinterpretation and Resignification: A Study of the English Translation of Le Roman de la Rose', Neophilologus 93, pp. 325-338
Translated: Chapter in Edited Book
- 2009 (trans.). Pierre Pellegrin, 'The Argument for the Sphericity of the Universe in Aristotle's De Caelo '. In New Perspectives on Aristotle's De Caelo. Bowen, Alan & Wildberg, Christian (ed.). Leiden: Brill. pp.