French Language 1
About this module
This is the core language module in French. The module will be capped at 250.
Teaching and Learning
The module is taught in two strands: in the grammar/translation class, students consolidate their grammar knowledge and develop their translation skills through a variety of grammar-based language exercises and the translation of texts from French into English; in the oral class, students develop their speaking skills through a range of oral exercises (conversation, discussion and individual presentations), and their aural comprehension skills through related on-line listening exercises and their reading and writing skills through text-based comprehension and writing exercises. The grammar/translation class is taught in English; the oral class is taught in French by native speakers. Attendance will be monitored in all teaching sessions.
- 2-hour written examination (75%)
- 10-minute oral examination (25%)
For this module you will need the following items:
- French Language 1 module booklet (to be purchased from the department at the beginning of term)
- Roger Hawkins and Richard Towell, French Grammar and Usage, third edition (Arnold, 2010) AND
- Roger Hawkins, Marie-Noëlle Lamy and Richard Towell, Practising French Grammar: A Workbook second edition (Hodder Arnold, 2010)
- A recent edition of EITHER Collins-Robert French Dictionary OR Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
Dr Sally Wagstaffe (email@example.com), room A36, Elvet Riverside I.