Go to the MLAC staff pages
Dr Binghan Zheng, BA, MPhil, PhD (NTU), PGCE, FHEA
Before taking up the Lecturer position in Durham, I worked as a Teaching Fellow in the Division of Chinese, Nanyang Technological University. My research focuses on contemporary translation theories, cognitive linguistics and teaching Chinese as a foreign language. I am the author of Choice-making in the process of English-to-Chinese translation: An empirical study, which is regarded as a breakthrough in process-oriented translation research in China. I am also one of the major contributors for A Dictionary of Translation Studies in China published by Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press in 2011.
Currently I am supervising doctoral students working on eye-tracking based studies on translation revision, self-translation and translation ethics, literary translation in Hong Kong, and cognitive explorations of translation directionality. I also supervise a dozen of MA students in English-Chinese translation every academic year. I am able to and interested in supervising PhD researchers interested in empirical translation and interpreting studies, and in teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
I am actively promoting Chinese language teaching in Britain, acting as the deputy Chair of the British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS) which is an organization of Chinese language teachers in British universities. I am also acting as the convenor of the Translation and Linguistics research group based on the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
- Empirical Translation Studies
- Contemporary Translation Theories
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Contrastive Studies between Chinese & English
- 2012 Choice-making in the Process of English-to-Chinese Translation: An Empirical Study, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
Essays in edited volumes
- 2007 'The Cognition and English-Chinese Translation on Metaphorical Sentences', in Tham, Wai Mun (ed.), Multi-Perspectives on Language Study, NTU Center for Chinese Language & Culture and Global Publishing, pp. 151-166
Journal papers: academic
- 2013 (co-authored with Xia, Xiang) 'Processing metaphorical expressions in sight translation: an empirical-experimental research', Babel 59.
- 2012 'The role of consultation sources revisited: an empirical study of English–Chinese translation', Perspectives: studies in translatology pp. 1-23
- 2011 (co-authored with Xiang, Xia) 'Understanding and reformulating metaphors: An empirical study on English-Chinese sight translation', Foreign Language Teaching and Research 43, pp. 422-436
- 2008 'The Triangulation Module in Process-oriented Translation Studies', Shanghai Journal of Translators for Science and Technology pp. 36-41
- 2007 'An Empirical Study of Translation Units in English-Chinese Translating', Foreign Language Teaching and Research 2, pp. 145-154
- 2006 'Boke or Buluoge', Shanghai Journal of Translators 3, pp. 78-79
- 2006 'Translog: An Assistant Program in Process-oriented Translation Studies', Chinese Science & Technology Translators Journal 4, pp. 20-24
- Convenor of the Translation, Linguistics, Pedagogy Research Group, Durham University
- Deputy Chair of the British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS)
- Member of Centre for Contemporary Chinese Studies
- Member of China Development and Research Centre, Durham Business School
Available for media contact about:
- Linguistics & Language: Mandarin teaching and acquisition