Languages for All courses are open to anyone (aged 18 or over) who wishes to learn a language, from University staff and students (from Durham or Queen's Campus) to members of the public.
Classes are communication based and interactive, with an emphasis on oral and aural activities during class time, and grammar practised in context. The Target Language is used all (or most) of the time, even at Beginners' level, in order to make the most of contact time with a native speaker.
For the range of languages and levels usually on offer, please look at the timetable below.
Classes range from Beginners to Advanced depending upon the language and demand.
There are no pre-requisites for entry (except BSL Levels 2 & 3) but you are advised to choose your level carefully to benefit from the course. Our general guide to entry levels for each class shows the progression through these levels. A careful study of the course contents gives the best indication of the most suitable class. Self placement tests are available in some languages and can provide additional information.
Most classes take place in the evening to cater for students with day time lectures and staff and members of the public in day time employment. Some classes are also offered on Wednesday afternoon when we have more than one class in the same language and level. Please look at the timetable.
Contact time is usually 2 hours per week unless otherwise stated on the timetable. All classes are subject to a minimum number of registrations. When a language and level is not expected to recruit the minimum number of students, we initially offer shorter sessions to allow the class to run with fewer students; however, if numbers are higher than expected, we can extend tuition.
The following timetable is based on analysis of past demand. If you are interested in a language and/or level which is not listed, please email email@example.com. If there is enough demand, we will contact interested parties with information (times, cost, duration...) on courses we could offer.
- Transcript of level achieved issued by the Centre for Foreign Language Study.
- BSL external qualification awarded by Signature
This cost does not include any textbook or optional external examination.
Foreign languages (not BSL)
- Durham students: £185
- Staff & Members of the public: £200
- Returning LFA Student from previous academic year: £150
- BSL level 1 & 2: £450 per academic year
- BSL level 3: TBA (awaiting Signature's new qualification specifications)
- BSL Level 3 NVQ Stage 2: £725
(unless otherwise stated on the relevant application form)
The dates below refer to the whole course which runs from October till May/June; there are no new courses starting at the beginning of each term (see additional classes for our programme of separate short courses in June).
(dates for individual classes may vary within those dates, depending on bank holidays and potential individual changes)
Foreign languages 2013-2014:
- w/c 21 October to w/c 2 December 2013
- w/c 20 January to w/c 17 March 2014
- w/c 28 April & w/c 5 May 2014 (not Monday classes) or 12 May (Monday classes)
- 22 April to 17 June (level 1) or 8 June (Levels 2 & 3) 2013
- w/c 14 October to w/c 9 December (levels 1 & 2) or w/c 2 December (Level 3 Stage 2)
- w/c 20 January to w/c 17 March
- w/c 28 April to w/c 23 June (level 1) or w/c 9 June (Level 2 & Level 3 Stage 2)
Complete an application form below and return it with your payment to:
There is no deadline as long as there are places left in the class of your choice.
However we strongly advise you to register as soon as you have made a decison as some classes fill up quickly near the beginning of term and others may get cancelled if they have not recruited enough students.
Telephone: 0191 3342241 or 0191 3343466