Staff in the Department of Arabic
Mrs Rosemary Mitchell-Schuitevoeder, MA, MCIL
Rosemary currently teaches the MA module Translation and Technology in the Department of Translation Studies, School of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLAC) Durham. Rosemary's research is in the field of pedagogy, where the teacher is the facilitator and the taught module becomes the interface between the professional translator and the academic world of translation. She aims to complete her PhD (pt) by 2013. She is a member of the Research Group Translation, Linguistics, and Pedagogy.
Rosemary has been a professional freelance translator of English, Dutch and Swedish in the fields of general commerce, education and fiction for 25 years.
She is a full member of the Institute of Linguists, and a member of the North-Eastern Regional Group of Translators of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting.
Recently published articles include 'Breaching the void - How do Translation Studies and the Profession relate?' in ITI Bulletin, January/February 2009; 'Telephone Interpreting' in ITI Bulletin, May/June 2009';'The Bilingual Dictionary's New Clothes' in ITI Bulletin, November/December 2009. The next anticipated publication (2011) is an article about her research, based on the paper she presented at the EST Conference Tracks and Treks in Leuven, Belgium, September 2010.
Enhancement of postgraduate teaching of translation and technology
A project-based innovative syllabus design
The translator's workplace can be one of the most dynamic, most progressive, most innovative, most frustrating, most unpredictable environments. As observed by Daniel Gouadec (2007), PRAT translators (Pen & Rubber Aided Translation) have made way for CAT translators (Computer Aided Translation Tools). In the UK, the training of the new generation of translators is provided by universities. My research reflects on the kinds of pedagogy and methodology that will produce a happy marriage between academic training and the translation profession.
- 2007 (co-edited with Mitchell-Schuitevoerder, Rosemary, Arnold, W., Joseph, N. & Mol, H.) Young Learners and the Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) Continuum, IATEFL.
- 2006 (co-edited with Mitchell-Schuitevoerder, Rosemary & Mourao, Sandie) Teachers and Young Learners: Research in Our Classrooms, Grafica de Leiria, 101 pp.
- 2002 (co-authored with Shetter, W. Z. & Cruysse-van Antwerpen, I. van der) 'Dutch An Essential Grammar', Language World Journal 26.
- 2011 'How to combine the academic and the vocational in postgraduate Translation Studies'.
- 2011 'Translation and technology and project-based learning'.
- 2010 'A project-based methodology in translator training'.
Essays in edited volumes
- 2006 'Task Based Language Teaching and Storyline', in (ed.), Storyline Approach in the Foreign Language Classroom - Trainer's Handbook, Comenius Project.
Journal papers: academic
- 2010 'The bilingual dictionary's new clothes', ITI Bulletin, The Journal of the Institute of Translation & Interpreting pp.
- 2009 'Breaching the Void - How do Translation Studies and the Profession relate?', ITI Bulletin, The Journal of the Institute of Translation & Interpreting pp.
- 2009 'Telephone Interpreting', ITI Bulletin, The Journal of the Institute of Translation & Interpreting pp.
- 2004 'The Typical L2 Beginner - intrinsic versus extrinsic learning', CATS, Children and Teenagers, The Young Learners SIG Newsletter pp.
Journal papers: online
- 2011 'Translation and technology in a project-based learning environment', Tralogy [En ligne], Session 3 - La formation du traducteur, mis à jour le 18/11/2011 pp.
- 2011 (trans.). Oussoren, Ragnhild, More Write Dance . Sage
- 2009 (trans.). Oussoren, Ragnhild, Write Dance in the Nursery; Write Dance Early Years . Sage
- 2008 (trans.). Corrie Ten Boom, I Stand at the Door and Knock . USA: Zondervan
- 2007 (trans.). Oussoren, Ragnhild, More Write Dance - Extending the Development of Write Dance for Children Aged 4 to 8 . Sage
- 2006 (trans.). Oussoren, Ragnhild, Write Dance: A Progressive Music and Movement Programme for the Development of Pre-writing and Writing Skills in Children . Sage
- 2005 (trans.). Oussoren, Ragnhild, Write Dance in the Nursery . Sage
- 2004 (trans.). Dumortier, Dominique, From another Planet. Autism from Within . Bristol: Sage Publications
- 2000 (trans.). de Loo, Tessa, The Twins . Arcadia