Welcome to the Department of Mathematical Sciences
A selection of recent grants
- Topology, Geometry and Laplacians of Simplicial Complexes (EPSRC, Norbert Peyerimhoff)
- Complex Magnetic Fields: An Enigma of Solar Plasmas (STFC, Anthony Yeates)
- Representation Growth of Linear Groups over Local Rings (EPSRC, Alexander Stasinski)
News & Events
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
- Aboalkhair, A.M., Coolen, F.P.A. & MacPhee, I.M. (2013). Nonparametric predictive reliability of series of voting systems. European Journal of Operational Research 226(1): 77-84.
- Gongopadhyay, Krishnendu & Parker, John R (2013). Reversible complex hyperbolic isometries. Linear Algebra and its Applications 438(6): 2728-2739.
- MacPhee, I.M., Menshikov, M.V. & Wade, A.R. (2013). Moments of exit times from wedges for non-homogeneous random walks with asymptotically zero drifts. Journal of Theoretical Probability 26(1): 1-30.
- Strömberg, F. (2013). Weil representations associated with finite quadratic modules. Mathematische Zeitschrift
- Bhattacharya, Jyotirmoy, Bhattacharyya, Sayantani & Rangamani, Mukund (2013). Non-dissipative hydrodynamics: Effective actions versus entropy current. Journal of High Energy Physics 2013(2): 153.
RAE2008 and the Department of Mathematical Sciences
The Department of Mathematical Sciences participated in RAE2008 and received detailed feedback in January 2009.
90% of all of the research submitted by staff across Durham University was assessed as being at least of International Quality (2* and above) in terms of originality, significance and rigour. In the Department of Mathematical Sciences, 95% of our research was assessed as being at least of International Quality.
Of the research assessed from Applied Mathematics, 75% was rated as Internationally Excellent or World Leading (3* and 4*). This placed us equal 1st in a ranking of UK institutions based on the same criteria.
See how Durham University’s RAE2008 performance ranked alongside comparator institutions.
Contact DetailsDept of Mathematical Sciences
Durham DH1 3LE
Order a prospectus
Durham University's Undergraduate Prospectus for 2014 entry now available here
The Maths Faculty provides free, short films of university lecturers speaking on topics directly from the A-level curriculum.
MSc in Particles, Strings and Cosmology
MSc in Mathematical Sciences
MSc in Biophysical Sciences
The department is involved in the delivery of the new MSc. in Biophysical Sciences.