Durham University Library welcomes visitors and we look forward to meeting you when you visit.
While the primary function of the Library is to serve members of the University, facilities can be offered to non-members when the material required is not readily available elsewhere and no inconvenience to the University is likely to result. (Items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for borrowing by visitors.)
Registering as a visitor
As a day visitor you should be over 18 and will be asked for identification, preferably photographic, and proof of your address.
Regular Library users may apply for a Campus Card:
- You must complete an ITS (Information Technology Service) visitor campus card application form.
- Original proof of identity and current home address is required, and will be checked when you hand in your form to Library staff. If you post your application form, your proof of identity must be presented when you collect your Campus Card.
- Please note it may take several days for your Campus Card to be produced and notification sent that you may collect it.
- Campus Cards may only be used by the person they are issued to.
- You must bring your card on all visits to the Library, and must use your card if you want to borrow books.
- To access the Bill Bryson Library or the Queen's Campus Library, you must use your Campus Card to swipe in using the turnstiles.