Online resources : table of contents services
A Table of Contents service displays or delivers the Tables of Contents or ToCs of recent issues of journals which are of interest to you. It may be combined with an alerting service which delivers by email or RSS feed details of articles which meet your research interests. Often you must first establish a profile by registering with the service. Due to the scope of these services, you may find useful articles in journals which the library does not subscribe to. If this is the case, you will need to use the Document Delivery Service.
Tables of contents alerting services
Setting up ZETOC alerts
ZETOC provides electronic ToCs from the British Library.The database contains details of approximately 20,000 current journals and 16,000 conference proceedings published per year. With almost 15 million article and conference records, the database covers every imaginable subject. The database covers the years from 1993 to date and is updated daily.
- Access ZETOC from the Library catalogue.
- ZETOC has two major functions, the first is as a searchable database for articles and conference proceedings. To use this option you would select ZETOC Search, but for the purpose of setting up an alert select ZETOC alerts.
- Enter your email address and a name for your alert. You can return to this and edit the terms within this alert at any time.
- Select Enter your email address and enter a name for your alert.
- Select Create, and scroll down to the bottom of the next screen.
- There is an option to Add journals of interest to you – when a new issue is published you will receive an email listing the table of contents.
- Search or browse for journal titles and add them to your list.
The ZETOC FAQ link at the bottom of the page takes you to full instructions for setting up alerts.
ZETOC also allows you to set up article title keyword alerts. For more information see our page on Journal Article Alerts.
JournalTOCs creates ToC alerts by RSS feed. It contains over 17,741 journals directly collected from over 1015 publishers.
- Go directly to JournalTOCs from your internet browser (it is not listed on the catalogue).
- Browse (by subject or publisher) OR Search for journals by title/ISSN and articles by keyword.
- Click on the journal title to see the ToC.
- Click on the rss feed logo to subscribe to the ToC alert for the journal - you can add it to your desktop or copy and paste the feed into a feed reader.
- You can unsubscribe to any feeds directly from within your feed reader.