The following options enable you to stay up to date with new acquisitions in the university library and at other institutions by setting up alerts (both email and RSS) from our catalogue or Copac, the academic and national catalogue.
New books at Durham University Library
- First log in to the Library Catalogue via View your record and renew loans.
- You now need to perform a search and save the strategy: select the Search catalog button next to the text Search the catalogue in the table on this screen. A keyword search may be the best search if you wish to be notified every time we add an item on a particular subject to the catalogue.
- Key in the search that you want to be notified about in future and select Submit.
- The current results will be shown on the screen – make any adjustments that you wish to broaden or narrow the search.
- When you are happy with the results select the Save this Search button next to your search terms towards the top of the screen.
- Now select the Patron record button and then Preferred searches (at the bottom of the screen). The search you just saved should be listed there.
- To receive emails when we add anything that matches, select the checkbox on the Mark for email column and select Update List.
To edit or clear your alerts: login in as above, select Preferred searches and mark and clear those you no longer want.
- Think about the keywords you wish to use. Remember that you can use a * to search on word stems, and AND, OR and AND NOT to make your search more specific.
- Remember you can limit your search to a specific location or media type, for example sound recordings (CDs etc.) at Palace Green Library.
- It is possible to combine proximity and truncation in your search e.g. librar* AND (internet OR "information technolog*")
These are available for Durham University Library news and new items. The RSS feeds show new books, CDs, DVDs and other items added to the Library collections over the past seven days, and are refreshed weekly each Friday.
Feeds are separated by subject area and there is also a feed combining new items for all subjects. You can access the feeds by selecting a link below in your Web browser, or subscribing to the feed in your RSS news reader or aggregator.
Web-viewable versions of the new items RSS feeds are available if your browser does not support the RSS standard, use the 'HTML' buttons below.
For comments and questions about this service, please contact the maintainers of this page using use the Comments and Questions form.
Feeds last refreshed: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:16
New items in the Library collectionNew items for all subjects in one feed
New items for Anthropology
New items for Modern Languages — Arabic
New items for Archaeology
New items for Applied Social Sciences
New items for Biological & Biomedical Sciences
New items for Biomedical Sciences (Queen's Campus)
New items for Business School
New items for Business School (Queen's Campus)
New items for Applied Social Sciences — Combined Honours in Social Sciences
New items for Chemistry
New items for Classics & Ancient History
New items for Computer Science
New items for Computer Science (Queen's Campus)
New items for Combined Studies in Art
New items for Applied Social Sciences — CYWS
New items for East Asian Studies
New items for Economics & Finance
New items for Economics & Finance (Queen's Campus)
New items for Education
New items for Education (Queen's Campus)
New items for Engineering
New items for English Studies
New items for European Studies (Queen's Campus)
New items for Foundation Programme
New items for Modern Languages — French
New items for Geography
New items for Earth Sciences
New items for New items for Modern Languages — German
New items for School for Health
New items for History
New items for Human Sciences (Queen's Campus)
New items for Modern Languages — Italian
New items for Information Technology Service
New items for Law
New items for Linguistics and Language
New items for Mathematical Sciences
New items for Government & International Affairs / IMEIS
New items for Modern Languages & Cultures
New items for Music
New items for Philosophy
New items for Physics
New items for Government & International Affairs / Politics
New items for Psychology
New items for Psychology (Queen's Campus)
New items for Modern Languages — Russian
New items for School of Government & International Affairs
New items for Applied Social Sciences — Sociology
New items for Modern Languages — Spanish
New items for Applied Social Sciences — Sport
New items for Theology
If you have an RSS news reader you can 'subscribe' to a Copac search as an RSS feed. This will supply you with automatic updates giving details of new records and changes to existing records that match your search. A maximum of 100 records will be included in each RSS feed.
When you do a Copac search you get a display of Brief records. Under the title at the top of the Brief display screen your search terms are shown. Next to your search terms you will see an orange RSS feed icon. Selecting this icon will give you a set of records in the form of an RSS output. Depending on your browser and/or your RSS news reader software you can then either subscribe to the Copac RSS feed directly from this web page or use the URL of the page to set up the feed in your news reader.