Bill Bryson Library Developments
Planning for the extension of the University's Bill Bryson Library on Stockton Road began several years ago, with the aims of increasing the number of study spaces available, modernising the highest-used IT facilities in the University, and uniting the Law and Music books from Palace Green Library with related sources already in the Bill Bryson Library. Books held in library stores around Durham were brought into the Bill Bryson Library from April 2012 and during summer 2012 all books in the Bill Bryson Library were moved into an easy to use layout running throughout the extended building.
From June 2012, essential replacement work will begin to update the library's infrastructure.
Bill Bryson Library Redevelopment
Phase 1: Level 2 refurbishment
Phase 2: Opening of new east wing in April 2012
Phase 3: Re-organisation of books and journals in Bill Bryson Library
- Books transferred from our off-site stores into the 5km of mobile shelving in level 1 of the east wing - Completed!
From 7 June to November 2012, a single easy to follow sequence was created throughout the extended Bill Bryson Library. Books are now at following locations:
- Level 4: books in classmarks 001 - 399. Information science and computing, philosophy, psychology, religion, sociology, economics, law, criminology and appled social sciences. View the completed floorplan of Level 4.
- Level 3: books in classmarks 400-829. Linguistics, modern languages, sciences, engineering, the arts, music and American and English literature. View the completed floorplan of Level 3.
- Level 2: books in classmarks 830-899. European and world literature. View the completed floorplan of Level 2.
- Level 1: books in classmarks 900-999. Ggeography, archaeology and history. View the completed floorplan of Level 1.
- Oversize books for classmarks on each level will be located close to the entrance to the east wing near the north lift.
- Printed journals will be relocated to Level 1, close to photocopiers and seating areas.
In addition, new study spaces were created by removing bookshelves located near windows.
Phase 4: Refurbishment of Level 3 PC Room
The Level 3 PC Room was refubished during the summer vacation 2012 to provide better individual study spaces and upgrade the two group study rooms in this area.
Phase 5: Replacement of heating, lighting and ventilation systems in pre-2012 building
From June 2013 to September 2013, a rolling programme of works will replace the ageing systems responsible for heating, lighting and ventilation in the central section of the Bill Bryson Library. The mechanical plant on the roof of the library will be replaced in summer 2013, then level 4, level 3 and level 1 will be cleared in turn to enable replacement of pipes, ducting and cabling. The scale of this work will have require books to be moved from the areas being refurbished. To ensure that circulating books remain accessible at all times, the lesser-used books in the level 1 east wing store will be transferred to an external store and books from the level about to be refurbished will be moved into the level 1 east wing store. Refurbishment work and book moves will not take place during the Easter term, so that examination studies are unaffected. Please note that books may be unavailable for short periods whilst they are moved around the Bill Bryson Library. If you need books for your dissertation or research from June to September please borrow these early and renew them online throughout the vacation. Reservations and book recalls will still be available.
Initial Timetable for Bill Bryson Library Refurbishment
24/6/13 – 19/7/13 transfer books from Bill Bryson Library level 1 east wing store to Belmont Store
22/7/13 – 16/8/13 move books from level 4 (classmarks 001-339, computing, philosophy, psychology, theology and religion, sociology, economics) to level 1 east wing mobile shelving. Dismantle shelves and remove furniture.
19/8/13 – 17/2/14 refurbishment of level 4
19/2/14 – 14/3/14 transfer 001-339 books from level 1 store back to level 4.
17/3/14 – 11/4/14 transfer level 3 books (classmarks 400-779, languages, sciences, arts (not music)) to level 1 east wing store
14/4/14 – 30/6/14 pause for exam study
30/6/14 – 26/9/14 refurbishment of level 3
29/9/14 – 10/10/14 transfer 400-779 books from east wing store back to level 3
10/11/14 - 5/12/14 move level 1 books (classmarks 900-999, geography, archaeology, history) to level 1 east wing store
8/12/14 - 17/04/15 refurbishment of level 1
17/4/15 – 3/7/15 pause for exam study
6/07/15 - 31/07/15 move books from east wing store back to level 1
3/08/15 - 28/08/15 move books from Belmont Store back to east wing store
31/08/15 - 11/09/15 remove shelves from Belmont Store to Bill Bryson Library
Further information will be provided to departments via liaison librarians and to the Library User Committee, Boards of Study and Staff Student Consultative Committees when it is available.
LATEST LIBRARY UPDATES
Durham Uni Library
- Learn to find current news and reports from key historical events by booking a place on our News Databases course! http://t.co/5f4rP0Tw0s
Tweeted 9 hours ago
- Queen's students: if you're starting your dissertation, book a place on our Google Scholar course on 13 June! http://t.co/JWVIDxQlVZ
Tweeted 14 hours ago
- RT @PalaceGreenLib: Next Lindisfarne Gospels Durham Project volunteer recruitment session Wed 22 May 4-6pm Durham Town Hall, k.c.black@durh…
Tweeted 16 hours ago