Mr Mamtimyn Sunuodula, Area Studies Librarian
I provide library resources and skills support for the students and the staff in the School of Government and International Affairs (Politics, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies), the School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Arabic, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Chinese) and the English Language Centre. I am also responsible for coordinating the University Library's support for internationalisation.
I specialise in the languages, information resources and bibliography of Asia and the Middle East. I am fluent in Chinese, Central Asian Turkic languages (Uyghur, Uzbek, Kazak) and read Arabic, Japanese, Russian and Turkish.
I worked for the British Library's Oriental and India Office Collections (1994-1996) and BBC World Service before coming to Durham.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn & Cao, Yu. (Accepted). Language Learning and Empowerment: Languages in Education for Uyghurs in Xinjiang. In Trilingualism and trilingual education in China. Feng, Anwei & Adamson, Bob. Springer.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (Accepted). Language Learning, Identity and Empowerment: Dynamics of Languages in Education for Linguistic Minorities in Urban Xinjiang. In Uyghur Youth Identities in Urban Xinjiang. Zang, Xiaowei & Smith Finley, J. Routledge.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2011). An Uyghur linguist at an English university: intercultural encounters. In Chinese Learning Journeys: Chasing the Dream. Feng, Su Stoke-on-Trent: Trentham Books. 69-87.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn & Feng, Anwei. (2011). Learning English as a Third Language by Uyghur Students in Xinjiang: A Blessing in Disguise?. In English Language Education across Greater China. Feng, Anwei. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. 260-283.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2009). Central and Inner Asian art. In 10,000 years of art. London: Phaidon.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2007). Central and Inner Asian art. In 30,000 Years of Art: the Story of Human Activity across Time and Space. London: Phaidon.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2011), Dynamics of Languages in Education for Linguistic Minorities in Urban Xinjiang, Dynamics of China's Borderlands: 18th – 21st centuries. EHESS, 190-198 Ave de France, 75013 Paris, France.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2010), Foreign Language Education for the Uyghurs -- opportunity or Challenge?, London School of Economics and Political Science, London (6 July 2010).
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2010), Globalisation, language learning and empowerment: languages in education for the linguistic minorities in China, Languages in Education: the Chinese Context. Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong, China.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2009), Foreign Language Education for the Linguistic Minorities in China, Trilingualism and trilingual education in minority regions in China: Comparative multiple-case studies in minority autonomous regions. Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong (17-18 December 2009)
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2003), Chinese Studies Library Collections in the Digital Age, Regional governance Greater China in the 21st century. Durham, UK.
Journal papers: academic
- Feng, A.W. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2009). Analysing language education policy for China's minority groups in its entirety. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 12(6): 685-704
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2004). 数字时代的中国研究图书馆资源 = Chinese Studies Research Libraries in the Digital Age. 国外社会科学 = Social Sciences Abroad 2005(4): 66-69.
- Ji, Shenying., Anar., Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. & Ouyang, Zhi. (1996). 新疆5－16岁维族儿童智力发展水平与对策研究 = 5-16 year old Uyghur children's IQ development level in Xinjiang and policy recommendations. 西北民族研究 = Northwest Minorities Research 1996(1): 97-108.
- Ji, Shenying., Ouyang, Zhi., Anar. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (1995). 新疆七族儿童智力发展水平研究 = Research into IQ development of children from seven ethnic groups in Xinjiang. 民族教育研究 = Research in Ethnic Minority Education 1995(1): 12-19.
- Senior, Karen., Bent, Moira., Scopes, Marie. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2008). Library services for international students. SCONUL.