The Spotlights are small focused displays highlighting particular collections within the Treasures of Durham University exhibition. Spotlights will change throughout the year, so that there is always something new to see.
Spotlight: "Outrageously Modern!" Avant Garde magazines that shocked Britain 1884 - 1922.
4th February - 7th October 2012
Enter the world of late 19th century publishing and explore a range of ground breaking and, in some cases, notorious literary and art magazines. Defying tradition and convention, these publications flaunted their modernity and sought to reinvent the magazine as a celebration of decadent art, unafraid to shock the public.
Tracing the origins as well as the legacy of these outrageously modern publications, this exhibition will take you on a tour of magazine culture from Charles Dickens to Oscar Wilde and into the early 20th century avant garde.
Palace Green Library
Tel: +44 (0)191 334 2972
- Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 4.45pm
- Closed during exhibition changes
- Adults - £3.00
- Concessions & Children - £2.00
- Family day ticket (2 adults, 2 children) - £8.00
- Infants (under 5) - FreeHelper/carers - Free
- Group rate - £2.50 per person based on 10 and above (only available on pre-booked groups)
- School visits - pupils - £2.00 - teachers/helpers - Free
- Free entry for Durham University Campus Card holders
- Season Tickets, valid for one year from day of purchase:
- Adults - £15.00
- Concessions - £10.00
- Children and Students - £6.00
- Family (2 adults, 2 children) - £40.00