Description of Special Collection
Collection Level Description: H. C. Hill Papers
- Collection name: H. C. Hill Papers
- Collection code: GB 033 HCH
- Date range: 1967-1983
- Extent: 1 box
- Language: English
- Created by: H. C. Hill (1916-2005)
- Held by: Durham University Library, Archives and Special Collections
Papers of the late Mr H.C. (Harry) Hill, formerly of British Paints (WA) Ltd:
1. Personal correspondence and correspondence re British Paints (WA) Ltd and the Ikeja and Apapa Manufacturers' Association, Nigeria, 1967-1983
2. Letters of applications for jobs at British Paints (WA) Ltd, Nigeria 1968-1971
3. Ephemera, Nigeria: invitations, programmes, flyers etc,1966-1971
4. Press cuttings, Nigeria 1970-1971
5. 2 tourist maps, Nigeria
6. Copies of Nigerian newspapers and pamphlets
7. 5 diaries written by Mr Hill in Uganda: January - April 1979; April 1979-March 1980; March - July 1980; September 1980 - March 1981; March - June 1981
About the creator:
Harry Creswick Hill was born 15 July 1916 and brought up in Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne. Started work for British Paints Ltd in Newcastle, then worked as a chemist in their dye works at Bill Quay, becoming works manager in the late 1950s.
He worked for them at Ikeja, Nigeria 1967-71 and in Uganda 1978-81. He died 17 October 2005.
Presented by David Hill April 2010 (Accession Misc.2009/10.150).
The collection has not yet been sorted or catalogued. For this reason, it is not normally possible to consult the collection.
Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the Sub-Librarian, Special Collections (e-mail PG.Library@durham.ac.uk) and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. The Library will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.
Index termsHill, Harry Creswick, 1916-2006.
Diaries -- 20th century.
Date last modified: 14 June 2010