Library Digitisation Service
The Library Digitisation Service scans book chapters and journal articles and makes the digital copies available for use by your students on specific modules. The service operates under the Copyright Licensing Agency's Higher Education Licence for photocopying and scanning. If you have a complete reading list for your module that contains clearly identified digitisation requests, send us the whole list via the reading list pages. If you do this there is no need to make separate digitisation requests.
Why should I use the service?
Digitising reading materials makes them more accessible to your students. Using the service means:
- Library resources more effectively meet the needs of your students
- We complete all the necessary licencing paperwork on your behalf
- Digital copies of resources can be accessed both via duo and the library webpages
What can be scanned?
- The original text from which we take the scan must be owned by the university, or be a copyright fee paid copy of a chapter / article supplied by an organisation holding a document delivery licence with CLA (e.g. British Library).
- The original text must be published in the UK, USA or participating international territories.
The limits on how much of a document can be scanned are the same as applies to photocopying, the proportion of a work that can be scanned consists of whichever is the greater of 5% or:
- one chapter of a book
- one article of a journal issue
- one paper of one set of conference proceedings
- one report of a single case from a report of judicial proceedings
- one short story or one poem of not more than 10 pages in an anthology of short stories or poems
We cannot scan:
- items already available electronically via the library catalogue
- printed music (including the words)
- maps and charts
- any work in which the copyright owner has expressly stipulated that "permission is not granted for copying under licences issued by The Copyright Licensing Agency"
- unpublished material
To allow the digitised resource to be opened in DUO please ensure that the Library Resources button has been enabled and added to the module menu, the instructions to do this are available here.
You can make specific requests using the forms below:
The library will process your request as soon as possible, however, please be aware that this could take longer at peak times particularly between July and September. As such we cannot guarantee a time scale for this service, and it is advisable that you submit your digitisation requests in good time.
When we have received your request we will:
- Check that the material is covered by the licence.
- Obtain the materials from stock or acquire a copyright cleared copy from the British Library.
- Arrange for the materials to be scanned and turned into PDF files.
- Make the files available for use in duo.
- Collect and submit the required information to the CLA.
- Remove materials as required by request or licence.
If you have any questions about any aspect of digitisation or taught course reading materials please contact us