Section 9.5 Partnership renewal
Procedure for the consideration of requests to renew a collaborative partnership
1. All collaborative partnerships are entered into for a fixed period of time, defined in the memorandum of association governing the partnership. Departments/schools may propose that a collaborative partnership be renewed. Such proposals may be either approved or not approved. Consequently, departments/schools wishing to renew a collaborative partnership must ensure that they submit such proposals as soon as practically possible so that if the proposal is not approved steps can be taken to ensure that students on the programmes involved are not disadvantaged.
2. The proposing department/school should submit the following documentation to the appropriate Faculty Support Officer:
a. a completed renewal form available at Appendix A9.10;
b. a proposed new memorandum of agreement;
c. a proposed new business case;
d. evidence of consultation with the Librarian and Director of University IT (or their nominees) on any issues relating to the provision of learning resources that have arisen in relation to the collaborative partnership being considered for renewal.
The Academic Support Office will add the reports submitted to the Faculty Collaborative Provision Panel in respect of the partnership proposed for renewal, and the minutes of the Panel's consideration of these reports.
3. The proposal to renew will be considered by a Partnership Approval Panel composed of:
- a member of University Education Committee or Quality and Standards Sub-Committee (Chair);
- the Chair of the relevant Faculty Education Committee (or nominee in the case of a conflict of interest, such as a proposal from the Chair's own department/school);
- the Director of the International Office;
- the Faculty Accountant;
- the Head of the Academic Support Office.
The Panel will be serviced by the appropriate Faculty Support Officer.
4. The proposing department/school will be invited to send one or more representatives to the Panel meeting.
5. The Panel will proceed as follows:
a. the Panel will meet in the first instance without the proposers present to consider the documentation in light of the criteria in Section 9.3. The Panel will then meet with the proposers to discuss issues arising from the documentation;
b. the Panel may request additional or revised documentation. The Panel may also decide to require a site visit by two members of the Panel (the cost to be met by the department/school concerned) before it can reach a decision;
c. the Panel will meet without the proposers present to decide on a final recommendation;
d. a recommendation will be made to Education Committee. Partnerships will normally be recommended for renewal for a five year period.
6. Panel recommendations may only take the form of:
a. a recommendation to renew the partnership as documented (following revisions arising from the deliberations of the Panel);
b. a recommendation not to renew the partnership as documented (despite any revisions arising from the deliberations of the Panel).
7. Recommendations shall be considered by Education Committee (having first been considered by Quality and Standards Sub-Committee). Where a proposed partnership has been deemed to be low risk, the decision on whether to renew the proposed partnership shall be taken by Education Committee and reported to Senate. Where a proposed partnership has been deemed to be medium or high risk, Education Committee shall decide whether to recommend the proposed partnership to Senate for final approval which shall in turn decide whether to recommend the proposed renewal to Senate.