Section 8.7: Visiting Research Students
1. Visiting Research Students are defined as students who attend the University and receive advice and support through supervision and use of research facilities. Such students may also join existing taught modules where this would support their research. These students will receive no credit or qualification from the University for either the research they undertake or any taught modules they join.
2. The centrally charged visiting research student fee will be as specified in the University tuition fee schedule.
3. Departments may charge additional fees as appropriate, for example, to cover specific relevant costs, e.g. bench costs or to recognise other costs in supporting visiting students.
4. Visiting research students will not need to have a supervisor in Durham but do need to have a nominated 'staff contact' in their department.
Admissions & Registration
5. All visiting research students are required to apply through the standard postgraduate on-line application form. The amount of detail concerning research proposals that may be needed in this application is to be determined by each department individually. Departments should notify their decision to the Admissions Office, as with applications to other programmes, and the Admissions Office will issue a formal offer letter. Students will need to accept the offer of a place as a visiting student.
6. Upon arrival in the University, visiting research students will need to complete the University's online enrolment process.