8.3.2: New Programme Titles for Existing Research Degrees
1. Departments wishing to introduce new programme titles for existing research degrees - such as a PhD offered jointly between two departments, or a Masters by Research in a specific subject area - should complete the appropriate request form Appendix A8.01.
2. Departments are required to provide the following information in support of requests for new research programme titles:
- the academic grounds for the introduction of the new programme title, including the scope and scale of the related academic activity in the proposing department(s);
- the way in which the suggested title complements existing programme titles already offered by the department;
- the potential recruitment benefits of the new title;
- the likely number of students who will be affected by the new title, including likely recruitment to research awards with the new title, and any existing students who which to transfer to study under the new title;
3. Departmental requests for new programme titles should be approved by the appropriate Head of Department (or Heads of Department if the proposed programme spans more than one department), and submitted to the appropriate Assistant Registrar (Faculty Support).
4. All requests for new programme titles will then be considered by the appropriate chair of FEC (PG) on behalf of the Faculty. If approved, the new programme title will then be considered by the chair of Quality and Standards Sub-Committee on behalf of the University.