3.4.1: New Module Proposals
Approval of new modules
1. Departments/schools are responsible for developing new module, and proposing these to the relevant Faculty Education Committee for approval. These proposals will normally be considered for approval by Chair's action, unless the proposal raises an issue of principle upon which guidelines do not exist or which is a matter of contention between departments/schools in which case the Chair may refer the proposal to the FEC itself.
2. Departments/schools are asked to submit details of new module proposals electronically via the module outline website (www.dur.ac.uk/module.outlines). It will not be possible to consider proposals submitted on module proformas.
3. Information in the outline will be used to compile the Faculty Handbook/Postgraduate Module Catalogue entry.
4. Comments should be obtained from an external examiner or other subject specialist - see Section 3.2 for guidelines.
5. Guidance on the use of the module outline system can be found on the website. If you would like to arrange a training session please contact your Faculty Support Administrator.
6. The requisite amendment to programme regulations should also be submitted (word processed; copies of the original regulations are available from the Academic Support Office) to the relevant Faculty Support Administrator.
7. The responsibility for amending programme regulations is a shared one between the proposing department/school and the Academic Support Office. The proposing department/school is responsible for drafting and submitting proposed changes to programme regulations; the Academic Support Office will, on request, provide advice to departments/schools on drafting proposed amendments to programme regulations.
8. New module codes cannot be included at this stage. These will be allocated by Student Planning and Assessment Section the proposals have been approved.