Dr Folarin Akinbami
Dr Folarin Akinbami was appointed as Lecturer in Commercial Law in Durham Law School in October 2012. Prior to this he was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Durham Law School and in the Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience (IHRR) at Durham University. He worked on Work Package Two of the Tipping Points project, an inter-disciplinary research project funded by the Leverhulme Trust. Before coming to Durham he completed his PhD at the University of Manchester. His PhD looked at financial services regulation in the UK under the Financial Services Authority (FSA), with a particular focus on the FSA's approach to supervision and implementation of its regulatory objectives. His research interests lie in financial services regulation, banking law, company law and regulatory theory.
His current research looks at banking and financial regulation. This involves studying how and why banking crises occur in the UK and other parts of the world, with a particular focus on the recent Global Financial Crisis which occurred in 2007-2009. He is currently looking at the corporate governance failures in banks and other financial firms before, during and after the financial crisis, and how corporate governance can be improved in the banking sector. His research also looks at the role that improvements in financial regulation and commercial law can play in reducing the effects of financial crises in the future.
- Corporate Governance
- International Banking Law
- International Commercial Dispute Resolution
Video / Audio Podcasts
- Financial Regulation
- Banking Law
- Company Law
- Law and Economics
- Tomasic, Roman & Akinbami, Folarin (2012). Shareholder Activism and Litigation against UK Banks: The Limits of Company Law and the Desperate Resort to Human Rights Claims?. In Directors' Duties and Shareholder Litigation in the Wake of the Financial Crisis. Loughrey, Joan Cheltenham, England: Edward Elgar. 143-172.
- Akinbami, Folarin (2010). The Global Financial Crisis: Causes, Effects and Issues to Consider in the Reform of Financial Regulation. In International Banking in the New Era: Post-Crisis Challenges and Opportunities. Kim, S. J. & McKenzie, M.D. Bingley: Emerald Publishing. 167-190.
Journal papers: academic
- Akinbami,Folarin (2013). Is Meta-Regulation all it's cracked up to be? The case of UK Financial Regulation. Journal of Banking Regulation 14(1): 16-32.
- Tomasic, Roman & Akinbami, Folarin (2013). Trust and Public Companies: Beginning to Reconceptualise Corporate Law in a Networked World. Australian Journal of Corporate Law 27: 233-261.
- Akinbami, Folarin (2011). Financial Services and Consumer Protection after the Crisis. International Journal of Bank Marketing 29(2): 134-147.
- Tomasic, Roman. & Akinbami, Folarin. (2011). The Role of Trust in Maintaining the Resilience of Financial Markets. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 11(2): 369-394.
- Tomasic, Roman & Akinbami, Folarin (2011). Towards a New Corporate Governance After the Global Financial Crisis. International Company and Commercial Law Review 22(8): 237-249.