Frequently Asked Questions
What is a personal statement?
A personal statement is a written narrative of your past experiences and future goals. It gives you the opportunity to:
• Describe the special strengths you offer the field
• Make a positive first impression
• Show why you are a good match for your field of study
• Present your aspirations and values
• Reveal how your interests in your chosen subject evolved
Your personal statement is an opportunity for you to demonstrate why you think you would be a good student for the programme you are applying to and why the University should select your application over those of other candidates. It is primarily an academic statement and you must target it very directly towards the subject in which you are interested, though a University will also want to know something about your more general interests.