Professor B. Huntley, BA, MA, PhD
My research investigates the relationships between environmental change and changes in the distributions of organisms, as well as in the composition, structure and dynamics of ecosystems. Interactions between the land surface and the atmosphere, especially biospheric feedbacks to the climate system, are also the subject of my research. A combination of palaeoecological, ecological and biogeographical methods is used in carrying out these investigations; important techniques used include pollen analysis, palaeoclimate reconstruction, modelling of ecological processes and of species distributions, geographical information systems and earth observation.
This research has been supported by grants from various bodies including NERC, NATO and the Leverhulme Trust, as well as by research contracts from the European Commission, WWF and RSPB, inter alia. Current research projects include investigations of: responses of African and European birds to climatic change; development of dynamic models of species' distribution and abundance changes in response to environmental change; the potential effectiveness of protected area networks as a tool for biodiversity conservation in the face of climatic change; heterogeneity of snow cover and land surface - atmosphere interactions in tundra areas; Holocene climatic variability in Finnmark; the neoglacial climatic transition as a potential 'tipping point' in the climate system; late-Pleistocene vegetation and environmental history in Eurasia and the extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna; and the impacts of tephra deposition on vegetation.
In 2007 I was invited to act as a consultant to the Council of Europe Bern Convention Group of Experts on Biodiversity and Climate Change and subsequently to become an observer on this group.
In 2008 I was invited to join the Steering Group for the North-East Regional Climate Change and Biodiversity Study.
In March 2009 I was invited by the German government to pariticipate in a High Level Working Group on the 2010 Biodiversity Targets and post-2010 Targets in preparation for the next meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.
- B. Huntley An analysis of the implementation of recommendations made by the Group of Experts on Biodiversity and Climate Change (2006-2011). 2012;62.
- B. Huntley Climatic change and the conservation of European biodiversity: Towards the development of adaptation strategies. 2007;58.
Journal papers: academic
- R. Altwegg, Y.C. Collingham, B. Erni & B. Huntley Density-dependent dispersal and the speed of range expansions. Diversity and Distributions. 2013;19:60-68.
- S. Hancock, R. Baxter, J. Evans & B. Huntley Evaluating global snow water equivalent products for testing land surface models. Remote Sensing of Environment. 2013;128:107-117.
- Huntley, Brian, Allen, Judy R.M., Collingham, Yvonne C., Hickler, Thomas Lister, Adrian M., Singarayer, Joy, Stuart, Antony J., Sykes, Martin & Valdes, Paul J. Millennial climatic fluctuations are key to the structure of last glacial ecosystems. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61963.
- B. Huntley, J.R.M. Allen, P. Barnard, Y.C. Collingham & P.R. Holliday Species’ distribution models indicate contrasting late-Quaternary histories for southern and northern hemisphere bird species. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 2013;22:277-288.
- B. Huntley, R. Altwegg, P. Barnard, Y.C. Collingham & D.G. Hole Modelling relationships between species’ spatial abundance patterns and climate. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 2012;21:668-681.
- B.J. Fletcher, J.L. Gornall, R. Poyatos, M.C. Press, P.C. Stoy, B. Huntley, R. Baxter & G.K. Phoenix Photosynthesis and productivity in heterogeneous arctic tundra: consequences for ecosystem function of mixing vegetation types at stand edges. Journal of Ecology. 2012;100:441-451.
- Huntley, Brian & Barnard, Phoebe Potential impacts of climatic change on southern African birds of fynbos and grassland biodiversity hotspots. Diversity and Distributions. 2012;18:769-781.
- R. Ohlemüller, B. Huntley, S. Normand & J.-C. Svenning Potential source and sink locations for climate-driven species range shifts in Europe since the Last Glacial Maximum. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 2012;21:152-163.
- B. Huntley Reconstructing palaeoclimates from biological proxies: Some often overlooked sources of uncertainty. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2012;31:1-16.
- R. Poyatos, J. Gornall, M. Mencuccini, B. Huntley & R. Baxter Seasonal controls on net branch CO2 assimilation in sub-Arctic Mountain Birch (Betula pubescens ssp. czerepanovii (Orlova) Hamet-Ahti). Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 2012;158-159:90-100.
- E. Cieraad, M. McGlone, M.M. Barbour & B. Huntley Seasonal frost tolerance of trees in the New Zealand treeline ecotone. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research. 2012;44:332-342.
- B. Huntley, J.R.M. Allen, P. Barnard, Y.C. Collingham & P.R. Holliday Species’ distribution models indicate contrasting late-Quaternary histories for southern and northern hemisphere bird species. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 2012;in press.
- P.K. Gillingham, B. Huntley, W.E. Kunin & C.D. Thomas The effect of spatial resolution on projected responses to climate warming. Diversity and Distributions. 2012;18:990-1000.
- P.K. Gillingham, S.C.F. Palmer, B. Huntley, W.E. Kunin, J.D. Chipperfield & C.D. Thomas The relative importance of climate and habitat in determining the distributions of species at different spatial scales: A case study with ground beetles in Great Britain. Ecography. 2012;35:1-8.
- A.J. Suggitt, P.K. Gillingham, J.K. Hill, B. Huntley, W.E. Kunin, D.B. Roy & C.D. Thomas Habitat microclimates drive fine-scale variation in extreme temperatures. Oikos. 2011;120:1-8.
- A. Heinemeyer, C. di Bene, A.R. Lloyd, D. Tortorella, R. Baxter, B. Huntley, A. Gelsomino & P. Ineson Soil respiration: Implications of the plant-soil continuum and respiration chamber collar-insertion depth on measurement and modelling of soil CO2 efflux rates in three ecosystems. European Journal of Soil Science. 2011;62:82-94.
- D.G. Hole, B. Huntley, J. Arinaitwe, S.H.M. Butchart, Y.C. Collingham, L.D.C. Fishpool, D.J. Pain & S.G. Willis Towards a management framework for key biodiversity networks in the face of climatic change. Conservation Biology. 2011;25:305-315.
- B. Huntley, P. Barnard, R. Altwegg, L. Chambers, B.W.T. Coetzee, L. Gibson, P.A.R. Hockey, D.G. Hole, G.F. Midgley, L.G. Underhill & S.G. Willis Beyond bioclimatic envelopes: Dynamic species’ range and abundance modelling in the context of climatic change. Ecography. 2010;33:621-626.
- J.J. Bennie, A.J. Wiltshire, A.N. Joyce, D. Clark, A.R. Lloyd, J. Adamson, T. Parr, R. Baxter & B. Huntley Characterising inter-annual variation in spatial pattern of thermal microclimate in a UK upland using a combined empirical–physical model. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 2010;150:12-19.
- A.J. Suggitt, P.K. Gillingham, J.K. Hill, B. Huntley, W.E. Kunin, D.B. Roy & C.D. Thomas Habitat microclimates drive fine-scale variation in extreme temperatures. Oikos. 2010.
- E.K. Magyari, J.C. Chapman, D.G. Passmore, J.R.M. Allen, J.P. Huntley & B. Huntley Holocene persistence of wooded steppe in the Great Hungarian Plain. Journal of Biogeography. 2010;37:915-935.
- J.R.M. Allen, T. Hickler, J.S. Singarayer, M.T. Sykes, P.J. Valdes & B. Huntley Last glacial vegetation of northern Eurasia. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2010;29:2604-2618.
- W.J. Fletcher, M.F. Sánchez Goñ&i, J.R.M. Allen, R. Cheddadi, N. Combourieu-Nebout, B. Huntley, I. Lawson, L. Londeix, D. Magri, V. Margari, U.C. Müller, F. Naughton, E. Novenko, K. Roucoux & P.C. Tzedakis Millennial-scale variability during the last glacial in vegetation records from Europe. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2010;29:2839-2864.
- S.A. Oswald, B. Huntley, Y.C. Collingham, D.J. Russell, B.J. Anderson, J.M. Arnold, R.W. Furness & K.C. Hamer Physiological effects of climate on distributions of endothermic species. Journal of Biogeography. 2010;38:430-438.
- J. Bennie, E. Kubin, A. Wiltshire, B. Huntley & R. Baxter Predicting spatial and temporal patterns of bud-burst and spring frost risk in north-west Europe: the implications of local adaptation to climate. Global Change Biology. 2010;16:1503-1514.
- Gregory, R.D. Willis, S.G., Jiguet, F. Voříšek, P. Klvaňová, A. van Strien, A. Huntley, B. Collingham, Y.C. Couvet, D. & Green, R.E. An indicator of the impact of climatic change on European bird populations. PLoS One. 2009;4:e4678.
- S.G. Willis, J.K. Hill, C.D. Thomas, D.B. Roy, R. Fox, D.S. Blakeley & B. Huntley Assisted colonization in a changing climate: A test-study using two UK butterflies. Conservation Letters. 2009;2:46-52.
- S.G. Willis, C.D. Thomas, J.K. Hill, Y.C. Collingham, M.G. Telfer, R. Fox & B. Huntley Dynamic distribution modelling: Predicting the present from the past. Ecography. 2009;32:5-12.
- J.R.M. Allen & B. Huntley Last interglacial palaeovegetation, palaeoenvironments and chronology: A new record from Lago Grande di Monticchio, southern Italy. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2009;28:1521-1538.
- N. Doswald, S.G. Willis, Y.C. Collingham, D.J. Pain, R.E. Green & B. Huntley Potential impacts of climatic change on the breeding and non-breeding ranges and migration distance of European Sylvia warblers. Journal of Biogeography. 2009;36:1194-1208.
- D.G. Hole, S.G. Willis, D.J. Pain, L.D. Fishpool, S.H.M. Butchart, Y.C. Collingham, C. Rahbek & B. Huntley Projected impacts of climate change on a continent-wide protected area network. Ecology Letters. 2009;12:420-431.
- R.M. Fyfe, J.L. de Beaulieu, H. Binney, R.H.W. Bradshaw, S. Brewer, A. Le Flao, W. Finsinger, M.J. Gaillard, T. Giesecke, G. Gil-Romera, E.C. Grimm, B. Huntley, P. Kunes, N. Kuhl, M. Leydet, A.F. Lotter, P.E. Tarasov & S. Tonkov The European Pollen Database: past efforts and current activities. Vegetation History and Archaeobotany. 2009;18:417-424.
- P.C. Stoy, M. Williams, M. Disney, A. Prieto-Blanco, B. Huntley, R. Baxter & P. Lewis Upscaling as ecological information transfer: A simple framework with application to Arctic ecosystem carbon exchange. Landscape Ecology. 2009;24:971-986.
- A.C. Parnell, J. Haslett, J.R.M. Allen, C.E. Buck & B. Huntley A flexible approach to assessing synchroneity of past events using Bayesian reconstructions of sedimentation history. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2008;27:1872-1885.
- S.G. Willis, D.G. Hole, Y.C. Collingham, G. Hilton, C. Rahbek & B. Huntley Assessing the impacts of future climate change on protected area networks: A method to simulate individual species' responses. Environmental Management. 2008.
- S. Oswald, S. Bearhop, R.W. Furness, B. Huntley & K.C. Hamer Heat-stress in a high-latitude seabird: Effects of temperature and food supply on bathing and nest attendance of great skuas Catharacta skua. Journal of Avian Biology. 2008;39:163-169.
- A.M. Fox, B. Huntley, C.R. Lloyd, M. Williams & R. Baxter Net ecosystem exchange over heterogeneous Arctic tundra: Scaling between chamber and eddy covariance measurements. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 2008;22.
- R.E. Green, Y.C. Collingham, S.G. Willis, R.D. Gregory, K.W. Smith & B. Huntley Performance of climate envelope models in retrodicting recent changes in bird population size from observed climatic change. Biology Letters. 2008;4:599-602.
- B. Huntley, Y.C. Collingham, S.G. Willis & R.E. Green Potential impacts of climatic change on European breeding birds. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1439.
- J. Bennie, B. Huntley, A. Wiltshire, M.O. Hill & R. Baxter Slope, aspect and climate: Spatially explicit and implicit models of topographic microclimate in chalk grassland. Ecological Modelling. 2008;216:47-59.
- E.K. Magyari, J.C. Chapman, B. Gaydarska, E. Marinova, T. Deli, J.P. Huntley, J.R.M. Allen & B. Huntley The 'oriental' component of the Balkan flora: Evidence of presence on the Thracian Plain during the Weichselian late-glacial. Journal of Biogeography. 2008;35:865-883.
- L. Spadavecchia, M. Williams, R. Bell, P.C. Stoy, B. Huntley & M.T. van Wijk Topographic controls on the leaf area index and plant functional type of a tundra ecosystem. Journal of Ecology. 2008;96:1238-1251.
- R.A. Robinson, H.Q.P. Crick, J.A. Learmonth, I.M.D. Maclean, C.D. Thomas, F. Bairlein, M.C. Forchhammer, C.M. Francis, J.A. Gill, B.J. Godley, J. Harwood, G.C. Hays, B. Huntley, A.M. Hutson, G.J. Pierce, M.M. Rehfisch, D.W. Sims, M.B. Santos, T.H. Sparks, D.A. Stroud & M.E. Visser Travelling through a warming world: Climate change and migratory species. Endangered Species Research. 2008.
- A. Brauer, J.R.M. Allen, J. Mingram, P. Dulski, S. Wulf & B. Huntley Evidence for last interglacial chronology and environmental change from Southern Europe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2007;104:450-455.
- B. Huntley Evolutionary response to climatic change? Heredity. 2007;98:247-8.
- J.R.M. Allen, A.J. Long, C.J. Ottley, D.G. Pearson & B. Huntley Holocene climate variability in northernmost Europe. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2007;26:1432-1453.
- J. Haslett, M. Whiley, S. Bhattacharya, M. Salter-Townshend, S. Wilson, J. R. M. Allen, B. Huntley & F. J. G. Mitchell Bayesian palaeoclimate reconstruction. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A. 2006;169:395-438.
- A. M. A. Franco, J. K. Hill, C. Kitschke, Y. C. Collingham, D. B. Roy, R. Fox, B. Huntley & C. D. Thomas Impacts of climate warming and habitat loss on extinctions at species' low-latitude range boundaries. Global Change Biology. 2006;12:1545-1553.
- Bennie, Jonathan, Hill, Mark O., Baxter, Robert & Huntley, Brian Influence of slope and aspect on long-term vegetation change in British chalk grasslands. Journal of Ecology. 2006;94:355-368.
- A.M. Dean, I.A. Brown, B. Huntley & C.J. Thomas Monitoring snowmelt across the Arctic forest-tundra ecotone using Synthetic Aperture Radar. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 2006;27:4347-4370.
- B. Huntley, Y.C. Collingham, R.E. Green, G.M. Hilton, C. Rahbek & S.G. Willis Potential impacts of climatic change upon geographical distributions of birds. Ibis. 2006;148:8-28.
- T.H. Ranner, J.R.M. Allen & B. Huntley A new early Holocene cryptotephra from northwest Scotland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2005;20:201-208.
- B. Huntley, R.E. Green, Y.C. Collingham & S.G. Willis A climatic atlas of European breeding birds. Lynx Edicions; 2007.
- B. Huntley & R. Baxter Vegetation ecology and global change. In: Eddy van der Maarel & Janet Franklin Vegetation ecology. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell; 2013:509-530.
- B. Huntley, Y. Collingham, S. Willis & D. Hole Protected Areas and Climatic Change in Europe: Introduction. In: Götz Ellwanger, Axel Ssymank & Cornelia Paulsch Natura 2000 and Climate Change – a Challenge. Federal Agency for Nature Conservation; 2012:7-27.
- B. Huntley, D.G. Hole & S.G. Willis Assessing the effectiveness of a protected area network in the face of climatic change. In: Trevor Hodkinson Climate change and systematics. Cambridge University Press; 2011:345-362.
- B. Huntley & R.E. Green Bioclimatic models of the distributions of Gyrfalcons and ptarmigan. In: R.T. Watson, T.J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt & E. Potapov Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund; 2011:10.
- B. Huntley & R.E. Green The utility of bioclimatic models for projecting future changes in the distribution of birds in response to climate change. In: R.T. Watson, T.J. Cade, M. Fuller, G. Hunt & E. Potapov Gyrfalcons and Ptarmigan in a Changing World. The Peregrine Fund; 2011:7.
- S.G. Willis, D.G. Hole & B. Huntley Climate change and conservation. In: Nigel Leader-Williams, William M. Adams & Robert J. Smith Trade-offs in conservation. Wiley-Blackwell; 2010:331-348.
- T.V. Callaghan, L.O. Björn, F.S. Chapin III., Y. Chernov, T.R. Christensen, B. Huntley, R. Imms, M. Johansson, D.J. Riedlinger, S. Jonasson, N. Matveyeva, W. Oechel, N. Panikov & G. Shaver Arctic tundra and polar desert ecosystems. In: Carolyn Symon, Lelani Arris & Bill Heal Arctic Climate Impact Assessment. Cambridge University Press; 2005:243-352.
- A.T. Peterson, H. Tian, E. Martinez-Meyer, J. Soberón, V. Sánchez-Cordero & B. Huntley Modeling Distributional Shifts of Individual Species and Biomes. In: T.E. Lovejoy & L. Hannah Climate change and Biodiversity. Yale University Press; 2005:211-228.
- B. Huntley North temperate responses. In: T.E. Lovejoy & L. Hannah Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press; 2005:109-124.
- B. Huntley & R. Baxter Vegetation ecology and global change. In: Eddy van der Maarel Vegetation Ecology. Blackwell Science Ltd; 2005:356-372.