Professor Dave Petley, BSc (Hons) AKC PhD FRGS FGS ILTM CGeog
(email at email@example.com)
My research interests lie primarily in the understading of landslides and landslide mechanics, especially in high mountain areas within less developed countries. To this end, I established and am director of the International Landslide Centre, see: http://www.landslidecentre.org/
More specific details of my research areas are as follows:
1 Material deformation processes
I am interested in a range of issues associated with deformation, including compaction of rocks (especially near-surface compaction of soft sediments), drained and undrained shear behaviour; the brittle-ductile transition in mudrocks; strain dependent behaviour during shear deformation; mechanisms of fracture generation and growth; accelerating patterns of behaviour; new techniques for deformation analysis; subsidence analysis and modelling; and material deformation controls on natural systems.
To this end I have developed the geotechnical laboratory at the Department of Geography to become a cutting-edge facility.
2 Landslide mechanics and landslide hazard and risk assessment
I am very interested in understanding the ways in which first time failures develop. I also have strong interests in various other aspects of landslides, including terrain evaluation and mapping; triggering mechanisms; frequency? magnitude relationships; runout mechanisms and processes; vulnerability analysis for mountain communities; landslide hazard and risk mapping; hill slope hydrological mechanisms; analysis of future patterns of movement; volcanic flank collapse; deep-seated landslide processes; topographic amplification during seismic events; landslide mechanics during intense precipitation; landslide dating; landslide modelling.
3 Remote sensing technology for earth surface mapping
I have a strong interest in the use of remote sensing, especially with respect to landslide mapping / monitoring and movement assessment. More specific interests include: the application of ATM technology to landslide delineation; terrestrial digital photogrammetry, airborne digital photogrammetry; digital elevation model extraction for airborne and terrestrial imagery; high resolution multispectral imaging; SAR interferometry for horizontal and vertical movement analysis; laser scanning for process delineation and monitoring; the integration of multiple datasets.
A (reasonably!) full, up to date CV can be found at: http://www.landslidecentre.org/petleycv.pdf
I maintain a blog of landslide and rockfall events happening worldwide, including maps of the locations of fatal events at: http://daveslandslideblog.blogspot.com/
Journal papers: academic
- Petley. D.N. Global patterns of loss of life from landslides. Geology. 2012;40:927-930
- Brain, M.J., Long, A.J, Woodroffe, S.A., Petley, D.N., Milledge, D.G. & Parnell, A.C. Modelling the effects of sediment compaction on salt marsh reconstructions of recent sea-level rise. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2012;345-348:180-193.
- Brain, M.J., Long, A.J., Petley, D.N., Horton, B.P. & Allison, R.J. Compression behaviour of minerogenic low energy intertidal sediments. Sedimentary Geology. 2011;233:28 - 41.
- Lin, G.W., Chen, H., Petley, D.N., Horng, M.J., Wu, S.J. & Chuang, B. Impact of rainstorm-triggered landslides on high turbidity in a mountain reservoir. Engineering Geology. 2011;117:97-103.
- Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N. & Keen, M. Quantifying the Controls and Influence of Tide and Wave Impacts on Coastal Rock Cliff Erosion. Journal of Coastal Research. 2011;27:46-56.
- Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Allison, R. & Petley, D.N. Erosional processes in the hard rock coastal cliffs at Staithes, North Yorkshire. Geomorphology. 2010;114:12-21.
- Malamud, B. & Petley, D.N. Lost in Translation. Public Service Review: Science and Technology. 2009;2:164-169.
- Petley, D.N. On the impact of urban landslides. Geological Society Engineering Geology Special Publications. 2009;22:83-99.
- Ng, K-Y. & Petley, D.N. The use of pore pressure reinflation testing in landslide management in Hong Kong. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. 2009;42:487-498.
- Rosser, N.J., Lim, M., Petley, D.N. D & Dunning, S.A. Patterns of precursory rockfall prior to slope failure. Journal of Geophysical Research (Earth Surface). 2007;112:F04014.
- Rosser, N.J., Lim, M., Petley, D.N., Dunning, S. & Allison, R. Patterns of precursory rockfall prior to slope failure. Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface. 2007;112.
- Petley, D.N., Hearn, G.J., Hart, A., Rosser, N.J., Dunning, S.A., Oven, K. & Mitchell, W.A. Trends in landslide occurence in Nepal. Natural Hazards. 2007;43:23-44.
- Ramli, M. F. & Petley, D. N. Best band combination for landslide studies in temperate environments. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 2006;27:1219-1231.
- Bulmer, M. H., Petley, D. N., Murphy, W. & Mantovani, F. Detecting slope deformation using two-pass differential interferometry: Implications for landslide studies on Earth and other planetary bodies. Journal of Geophysical Research. 2006;111:E06S16.
- Chia-Hung, J., Lin, J-C., Hsu, M-L. & Petley, D. N. Fluvial transportation and sedimentation of the Fu-Shan small experimental catchments. Quaternary International. 2006;147:34-43.
- Dunning, S. A., Rosser, N. J., Petley, D. N. & Massey, C. R. Formation and failure of the Tsatichhu landslide dam, Bhutan. Landslides. 2006;3:107-113.
- Lin, J-C., Petley, D. N., Jen, C-H. & Hsu, M-L. Slope movements in a dynamic environment - A case study of Tachia river, Central Taiwan. Quaternary International. 2006;147:103-112.
- Petley, D.N. The Vajont (Vaiont) Landslide. Geo-strata. 2006.
- Lim, M., Petley, D.N., Rosser, N.J., Allison, R.J., Long, A.J. & Pybus, D. Combined digital photogrammetry and time-of-flight laser scanning for monitoring cliff evolution. The Photogrammetric Record. 2005;20:109-129.
- Petley, D.N., Higuchi, T., Petley, D.J., Bulmer, M.H. & Carey, J. Development of progressive landslide failure in cohesive materials. Geology. 2005;33:201-204.
- Ramli, M. F. & Petley, D. N. Image filtering of airborne thematic mapper or landslide delineation. Ultra Scientist of Physical Sciences. 2005;17:221-228.
- Sepulveda, S., Murphy, W., Jibson, R. W. & Petley, D. N. Seismically-induced Rock Slope Failures Resulting from Topographic Amplification of Strong Ground Motions: The Case of Pacoima Canyon, California. Engineering Geology. 2005;80:336-348.
- Rosser, N. J., Petley, D. N., Lim, M., Dunning, S. A. & Allison, R. J. Terrestrial laser scanning for monitoring the process of hard rock coastal cliff erosion. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. 2005;38:363-376.
- Chen, H. & Petley, D. N. The impact of landslides and debris flows triggered by Typhoon Mindulle in Taiwan. Quaterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. 2005;38:301-304.
- Petley, D.N., Mantovani, F., Bulmer, M.H. & Zannoni, A. The use of surface monitoring data for the interpretation of landslide movement patterns. Geomorphology. 2005;66:133-147.
- Sepulveda, S. A., Murphy, W., Jibson, R. W. & Petley, D. N. Topographic controls on co-seismic rock slides during the 1999 Chi-Chi earthquake, Taiwan. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. 2005;38:189-196.
- Petley, D.N. Tsunami - how an earthquake can cause destruction thousands of kilometres away. Geography Review. 2005;18:2-5.
- Kemeling, I., Scott, I.M., Petley, D.N., Rosser, N.J., Allison, R J. & Long, A.J. Data driven modelling of a complex mining subsidence process. Proceedings of the SPIE International Symposium on Remote Sensing, Masplalomas Gran Ganaria. 2004;September 2004.
- Kemeling, I. & Petley, D.N. Radar interferometry to monitor slow surface deformation in rural England. Proceedings of the European Space Agency ENVISAT and ERS symposium, Salzburg. 2004;September 2004.
- Petley, D.N. Slip-sliding Away. Planet Earth (NERC). 2004;Winter 2004:26-27.
- Petley, D. The evolution of slope failures: mechanisms of rupture propagation. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. 2004;4:147-152.
- N.J. Rosser, M. Lim & D.N. Petley The use of terrestrial laser scanning for the monitoring of coastal cliff processes. Proceedings of the International Lidar Mapping Forum. 2004;February 2004.
- A.J. Wilson, D.N. Petley & W. Murphy Down-slope variation in geotechnical parameters and pore fluid control on a large-scale Alpine landslide. Geomorphology. 2003;54:49-62.
- C.R.J. Kilburn & D.N. Petley Forecasting giant, catastrophic slope collapse: lessons from Vajont, Northern Italy. Geomorphology. 2003;54:21-32.
- Hearn, G. J. & Petley, D. N. Landslide risk assessment for road planning and management in developing countries. Earthworks. 2003;17:6-7.
- F. Ramli & D. Petley Morphological mapping: it's subjectivity and application to the delineation of relict landslides. Science Putra Malaysia. 2002;10:22-26.
- Petley, D.N., Bulmer, M.H. & Murphy, W. Patterns of movement in rotational and translational landslides. Geology. 2002;30:719-722.
- W. Murphy, D.N. Petley, J. Bommer & J.M. Mankelow Uncertainty in ground motion estimates for the evaluation of slope stability during earthquakes. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. 2002;35:71-78.
- R. Inkpen & D. Petley Fitness spaces and their potential for visualizing change in the physical landscape. Area. 2001;33:242-251.
Journal papers: popular
- Petley, D.N. A first impression of the 12th May 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. Geography Review. 2008;22:2-4.
- Smith, K. & Petley, D.N. Environmental Hazards. Routledge; 2009.
- D. Petley Landslide Hazard and risk assessment techniques - a review. 2001.
- D. Petley Landslide hazard and risk assessments - A definitive scheme. 2001.
- Petley, D.N. Landslide Hazards. In: Alcántara-Ayala, I. & Goudie, A. Geomorphological Hazards and Disaster Prevention. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2010:63-74.
- Petley, D.N. The Continental Shelf and Slope. In: Burt, T.P. & Allison, R.J. Sediment Cascades an integrated approach. Chichester: Wiley; 2010:433-448.
- Petley, D. N., Dunning, S. A., Rosser, N. J. & Kausar, A. B. Incipient earthquakes in the Jhelum Valley, Pakistan following the 8th October 2005 earthquake. In: Marui, H. Frontiers of Science. Yokyo: Universal Academy Press; 2006:47-56.
- Petley, D. N. & Petley, D. J. On the initiation of large rockslides: perspectives from a new analysis on the Vaiont movement record. In: Mugnozza, G., Strom, A. & Hermanns, R. L. Massive Rock Slope Failure. Rotterdam: NATO; 2006.
- Petley, D. N., Higuchi, T., Dunning, S., Rosser, N. J., Petely, D. J., Bulmer, M. H. K. & Carey, J. A new model for the development of movement in progressive landslides. In: Hungr, O., Fell, R., Couture, R. & Eberhardt, E. Landslide Risk Management. Amsterdam: Balkema; 2005.
- Petley, D. N., Dunning, S. A. & Rosser, N. J The analysis of global landslide risk through the creation of a database of worldwide landslide fatalities. In: Hungr, O., Fell, R., Couture, R. & Eberhardt, E. Landslide Risk Management. Amsterdam: Balkema; 2005.
- Rosser, N. J., Dunning, S. A., Lim, M. & Petley, D. N. The application of a terrestrial laser scanning technique for quantitative rockfall hazard assessment. In: Hungr, O., Fell, R., Couture, R. & Eberhardt, E. Landslide Risk Management. Amsterdam: Balkema; 2005.
- Dunning, S. A., Petley, D. N. & Strom, A. L. The morphologies and sedimentology of valley confined rock-avalanche deposits and their effect on potential dam hazard. In: Hungr, O., Fell, R., Couture, R. & Eberhardt, E. Landslide Risk Management. Amsterdam: Balkema; 2005:601-704.
- Petley, D. N., Hearn, G. J. & Hart, A. Towards the development of a landslide risk assessment for urual roads in Nepal. In: Glade, T., Anderson, M. & Crozier, M. J. Landslike hazard and risk. Chichester: Wiley; 2005:597-620.
- Inkpen, R. J., Petley, D. & Murphy, W. Durability and rock properties. In: Smith, B. J. & Turkington, A. V. Stone decay: Its causes and controls. Shaftesbury: 2004:33-52.
- S.A. Sepulveda, W. Murphy & D. Petley The role of topographic amplification on the generation of earthquake-induced rock slope failures. In: W.A. Lacerda, M. Ehrlich, S.A.B. Fontoura & S.F. Sayao Landslides: Evaluation and Stabilization. Balkema; 2004:311-315.
- M.H.K. Bulmer, F. Mantovani, W. Murphy & D. Petley SAR interferometry in landslide monitoring; experiences from Black Ven landslide, Dorset 2001. In: D. Delahaye, F. Levoy & O. Maquaire Geomorphology: the Expert Opinion to Modelling. Strasbourg; 2002:21-27.
- D. Petley The use of terrain evaluation for hazard assessment in Eastern Taiwan. In: J. Griffiths Land Surface Evaluation for Engineering Practice. Engineering Geology Special Publications; 2001:209-213.
Department of Geography
- Catchment, River and Hillslope Science (CRHS)
- Institute of Hazard, Risk & Resilience (IHRR)
- International Landslide Centre (ILC)
Department of Geography
- Boulby Geoscience
- Coastal Behaviour and Rates of Activity (COBRA)
- International Landslide Centre
- Monitoring Programme for the Whitby TV mast site