Research Grants - new applications
Applying for New Grants
Staff costs included in new grant applications must be based on the new pay and grading framework. PIs must apply for funding according to the grades of posts required for the research project (including support staff posts). The process outlined below should ensure that there is no shortfall in funding, as Research Councils have agreed to fund posts at the levels requested by HEIs, provided they can show that this is objectively justified, ie via a HERA role evaluation exercise.
- PIs should identify the staffing requirements for the project and draft the role requirements.
- The PI assesses the closest match to the generic role profiles. The research posts do not need to be analysed and graded by the HERA team at this stage.
- The grant application should include the staff costs for the grades as determined by the PI using the generic role profiles and must be submitted to the Research Office no later than five days before the sponsor deadline and with full departmental approval.
- If the grant awarded is consistent with the grade(s) requested, PIs should:
i. inform the Research Office
ii. seek financial approval via the Treasurer's department
iii. contact HR to pursue recruitment
- In order to pursue recruitment PIs should consult the recruitment process which can be found at http://www.dur.ac.uk/hr/recruitment/
- HR will validate the role grading and, provided the grade matches the funding available, proceed with recruitment and selection once financial approval has been obtained.
- If the grant awarded is not consistent with the grade(s) requested, the PI should amend the duties of the post to match the funding available.