There are various sources of funding available for postgraduate study at University of Durham. Please bear in mind that various organisations will have different eligibility criteria, but all of the awards are highly competitive and will be allocated to outstanding candidates.
Possible sources of funding include:
- The Wellcome Trust, London (for students who commit themselves to a dissertation on a subject within the history of medicine)
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- British Council
- British Society for the History of Science: Masters Degree Bursaries of £1000 to support students taking taight Masters courses in the history of science, technology or medicine - Deadline 30 September each year
American students are encourages to investigate the following sources: Rotary International, Marshall Scholarships, etc. Members of the HPSM programme have held these types of fellowships and would be able to offer advice.
German students are encouraged to investigate their funding options through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), in particular the 'Free mover-Stipendienprogramm (FMS) Europa'.
Durham does sometimes offer awards that are available on a highly competitve basis (usually a 1st or equivalent). Ultimately, each student will need to find sufficient resources to cover tuition fees and living expenses (rent, utilities, etc.).
Travel, Research and Conference Grants
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
- German Historical Institute London
- Society for the Social History of Medicine (bursaries for bona fide students to assist them in meeting the financial costs of attending the Society's own and other relevant conferences, up to a maximum of one per student per calendar year)
- The Wellcome Trust, London
- John Pisano Travel Grant (administered through the Office of NIH History for the purpose of encouraging historical research relating to the NIH intramural programs).
Postgraduate Funding Opportunities
Postgraduate funding opportunities - find out more on funding packages available for postgraduate study.