GREY COLLEGE ENVIRONMENT POLICY
Grey College is committed to supporting the University’s mission to reduce its environmental impact and improve the local environment
“LET’S GET GREY TO GO GREEN”
Our commitment is to:
• Consider environmental concerns and impacts into all our decision-making and activities.
• Promote environmental awareness among our employees, students and guests and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
• Train, educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work.
• Reduce waste through re-use and recycling and by purchasing recycled, recyclable or refurbished products and materials where these alternatives are available, economical and sustainable.
• Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout our facility including water, electricity, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non renewable.
• Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of.
• Purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly.
• Communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it.
• Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimise the social impact by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.
To meet our commitments we will:
• Communicate the importance of environmental issues to our employees, students and guests.
• Communicate internally and externally our environmental policy and performance on a regular basis, and encourage feedback.
• Implement our policies through guidelines and training.
• We will set environmental targets and goals designed to improve our environmental performance.
• Actively encourage the use of recyclable materials and paper, and the recycling and reuse of these and other materials.
• Try, where possible, to trade with businesses with similar environmental standards to our own – suppliers and contractors.
• Minimise waste, especially hazardous waste, and wherever possible recycle materials. We will dispose of all waste through safe and responsible methods.
• Encourage staff to use energy and water resources efficiently.
• Monitor premises and team performance and promote best practise in teams.
• Review our environmental policy regularly.
Grey College Catering Environmental Policy:
• Encourage and stimulate the collegiate community into protecting and developing the environment.
• Work with procurement department and suppliers to ensure recyclable or biodegradable and environmentally friendly packaging and products.
• Ensure staff and students are environmentally aware.
• Ensure energy efficiency within the college
• Increase awareness of recycling opportunities including zero waste at end of term – working with local charities.
• Ensure effective management of all resources
• Offer Fair-Trade products