Mr Christopher Darvill
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2011 - Present: Ph.D. Geography, Durham University
2007 - 2010: B.Sc. Geography (1st Class), University of Exeter
Quaternary Glacial and Environmental Change in southernmost South America
This project aims to improve our understanding of ice advances across Tierra del Fuego and southernmost Patagonia during the Quaternary period (last 2.4 million years). Extensive fieldwork combining glacial geomorphology and dating techniques such as cosmogenic isotope analysis of outwash deposits will help to clarify both the nature and timing of successive glaciations and the palaeoclimatic and environmental changes responsible for them.
You can read a blog about my 2013 fieldwork experiences by clicking here.
M.Sc. thesis (NERC-funded)
"The Lateglacial at Star Carr: A Sedimentological and Stable Isotopic Investigation of Palaeoenvironmental Change in Northeast England"
"Palaeoenvironmental and Climatic Reconstruction of Late Devensian and Holocene Change in Northern Skye: A Multiproxy Approach"
Joint-winner of the 2010 QRA Undergraduate Dissertation Prize
Vacation Research Bursary, 2009 (BBSRC-funded)
"Investigation of uncertainties in measurement of mineral nitrogen compounds in soils using water and potassium chloride extraction methods"
- NERC algorithm studentship with Durham University (2011-2015)
- RGS Dudley Stamp Memorial Award for cosmogenic depth-profile analysis (£500)
- BSG Postgraduate Research Grant for cosmogenic depth-profile analysis (£1000)
- Santander Mobility Grant for collaborative research in Latin America (£625)
- NERC Cosmogenic Isotope Analysis Support 9127/1012 for exposure dating outwash depth-profiles in Tierra del Fuego, with Mike Bentley (£17,120)
- Durham University Geography Postgraduate Fund for visiting academics in Ushuaia, Argentina (£500)
- Durham University FoSS Projects and Initiatives Scheme for 2013 fieldwork (£525)
- QRA New Research Workers' Award for 2013 fieldwork (£500)
- Explorers Club Exploration Grant for 2013 fieldwork (£944)
- NERC 0.5 Masters studentship with Royal Holloway / UCL (2010-2011)
- BBSRC vacation bursary with Exeter University & Rothamstead Research (2009)
Conference Presentations, Posters and Short Publications
Candy, I., Blockley, S., Matthews, I., Palmer, A., Darvill, C. "Tracking abrupt climate shifts with stable isotopes in lacustrine sediments: geochemical evidence for dynamic temperature, precipitation and seasonality regimes during the last deglaciation (8 to 15ka BP)" EGU General Assembly, 2013 (Presentation by Candy, I.)
Candy, I., Blockley, S., Matthews, I., Palmer, A., Darvill, C. "Tracking abrupt climate shifts with stable isotopes: geochemical evidence for dynamic temperature, precipitation and seasonality regimes during the last deglaciation (8 to 15ka BP)" QRA Annual Discussion Meeting at Newcastle & Northumbria Universities, 2013 (Presentation by Candy, I.)
Candy, I., Blockley, S., Matthews, I., Palmer, A., Darvill, C. "Tracking abrupt climate shifts with stable isotopes: geochemical evidence for dynamic temperature, precipitation and seasonality regimes during the last deglaciation (8 to 15ka BP)" AGU Fall Meeting, 2012 (Presentation by Candy, I.)
Darvill, C. "Quaternary glacial and environmental change in Tierra del Fuego, southern South America", QRA Postgraduate Conference, University of Aberdeen, 2012 (Poster & Presentation with Bentley, M.J. & Stokes, C.R.). Winner of prize for best poster.
Darvill, C. (2012) "Geoconservation for Science and Society: Conference Report", QRA Newsletter, v.127, p.27-30
Darvill, C. "The importance of preserving sedimentary records: A new study of the Lateglacial at Star Carr, North Yorkshire", Geoconservation for Science and Society, University of Worcester, 2011 (Poster & Abstract with Candy, I., Matthews, I., Palmer, A. & Blockley, S.)
Darvill, C. “1.1 Million Years of Glacial and Environmental Change in southern South America” APECS Remote Sensing Summer School, University of Reading, 2011 (Poster & Abstract)
Darvill, C. (2011) "Palaeoenvironmental and climatic reconstruction of Late Devensian and Holocene change in Skye: a multiproxy approach", QRA Newsletter, v.124, p.66, 2010 prize abstracts
Postgraduate Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
Postgraduate Member of the:
- Quaternary Research Association
- British Society for Geomorphology
- International Glaciological Society
- Geologists' Association
- Glacial Landsystems Working Group