Publication details for Professor Cheryl McEwanPollard, J.S., McEwan, C., Laurie, N. & Stenning, A. Economic Geography Under Postcolonial Scrutiny. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2009;34:137-142.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0020-2754, 1475-5661.
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-5661.2009.00336.x
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
Because the economy is not found as an empirical object among other worldly things, in order for it to be 'seen' by the human perceptual apparatus it has to undergo a process, crucial for science, of representational mapping. This is doubling, but with a difference; the map shifts the point of view so that viewers can see the whole as if from the outside, in a way that allows them, from a specific position inside, to find their bearings. (Buck-Morss 1995, 440).