Publication details for Dr Christopher HarkerHarker, C. Student Im/mobility in Birzeit, Palestine. Mobilities. 2009;4:11-35.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 1745-0101 (print), 1745-011X (online)
- DOI: 10.1080/17450100802657947
- Keywords: Palestine, Mobilities, Immobilities, Students.
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
This paper draws on research with students at the Birzeit University in Palestine to examine how their experiences of university are shaped by a range of im/mobilities. In particular I am interested in how students who rent accommodation in Birzeit and make frequent trips to the cities and villages where they grew up experience a range of im/mobilities that are heavily impacted by technologies and practices of the Israeli Occupation Forces that are designed to render Palestinians less mobile in the West Bank. After mapping how students understand these im/mobilities, I explore how these differently mobile practices create Birzeit as place, how they unsettle particular notions of home, and the micropolitical responses they embody and engender.