Dr Gareth Powells, Ba (Hons), Msc, PhD, FRGS
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I try to work at the interface between applied social science and contemporary human geography. My PhD looked at how energy policy is operationalised and how, through the imprecise production of new social, technical and economic configurations, government through networks is performed.
Since then I've worked on a number of fascinating projects spanning the political and economic geographies of radioactive waste management, regional economic development and municipal carbon footprinting.
I have an inter-disciplinary background and currently work withh colleagues in Geography, Anthropology and Engineering on a major regulator funded smart srid research project, the Customer Led Network Revolution. Investigating the impacts, challenges and opportunities surrounding the creation of smart grids in the UK the project uses qualitative and quantitative methodologies to provide insight into current and future electricity governance, networks and markets.
I'm an experienced researcher and consultant with expertise in the design, delivery and evaluation of projects in energy, sustainability, technology and innovation contexts. To discuss a project or an idea please get in touch
- Economic Geography
- Science and Technology Studies
Journal papers: academic
- Powells, Gareth Complexity, entanglement, and overflow in the new carbon economy: the case of the UK’s Energy Efficiency Commitment. Environment and Planning A. 2013;41:2342.
- Powells, Gareth The Political Economy of Sustainable Energy – By Catherine Mitchell. Geographical Journal. 2009;175:315.
- Powells, Gareth Housing Dynamics: Environmental Aspects. In: International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home. Elsevier; Published:429.
- Smith, Susan, Searle, Beverley & Powells, Gareth Introduction. In: The Blackwell Companion to the Economics of Housing. 2010:1.