Dr Jerry Lloyd
My research interests lie in the area of Quaternary environmental reconstruction with particular focus on palaeoceanography and sea-level changes. My current areas of research include:
- Interaction between palaeoceanography and ice sheet dynamics
- Relative sea-level changes and coastal evolution
- Reconstructing Asian Monsoon climate
Interaction between palaeoceanography and ice sheet dynamics
One of my main areas of research has focused on the link between ocean circulation and ice sheet dynamics. This research has concentrated on the west Greenland margin, but has recently expanded to include research from the northeast Greenland margin and the Antarctic Peninsula. Research in west Greenland has investigated the timing and nature of deglaciation in the Disko Bay area and also the link between ocean circulation and the dynamics of Jakobshavns Isbrae (one of the largest ice streams draining the Greenland Ice Sheet). I have extended this research into the link between the oceans and ice streams through recent research from Fosters Bugt in northeast Greenland and Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula. This research has involved collaboration with Dr Antoon Kuijpers (Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland), Dr Matthias Moros (Baltic Sea Research Institute, Germany), Dr Andrzej Witkowski (University of Szczecin, Poland) and Profs Colm Ó Cofaigh and Antony Long (Durham).
Relative sea-level changes and coastal evolution
I have carried out research reconstructing relative sea-level change from a range of locations around the UK including NW Scotland, the Solway Firth, Cumbria and NE England. This new data can then be used to test and help refine quantitative glacio-hydro-isostatic models. I am also interested in the relative sea-level history from NW Iceland with the aim of providing accurate relative sea-level reconstructions from the Lateglacial through to the Late Holocene needed to test geophysical glacio-hydro-isostatic models and also provide information on deglaciation. I am also collaborating with archaeologists interested in the Viking settlements of NW Iceland and their links with the sea.
Reconstructing Asian Monsoon climate
One of my research interests has been in developing new proxies from the Pearl River Estuary to reconstruct the Southeast Asian Monsoon. In this research we have investigated a number of proxies including foraminifera, diatoms and bulk carbon stable isotopes to reconstruct the variation in freshwater flux to the Pearl River Estuary linked to monsoon precipitation. This research has recently been extended to include organic and inorganic geochemical analysis of a maar lake sequence. This research is being carried out in collaboration with Drs Cheng Zong and Wyss Yim (University of Hong Kong) and Dr Rachel Flecker (University of Bristol).
- Asian Monsoon climate variability
- Interaction between the ocean, atmosphere and ice sheet dynamics along the Greenland margin
- Palaeoenvironmental reconstruction using foraminifera
- Palaeoceanography of the Greenland margin
- Interaction between ocean circulation and ice sheet dynamics
- Sea-level change and coastal evolution
- Developing proxies to reconstruct monsoon climate
Journal papers: academic
- Lloyd, J.M., Zong, Y., Fish, P. & Innes, J.B. Holocene and Lateglacial relative sea-level change in north-west England: implications for glacial isostatic adjustment models. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2013;28:59-70.
- Seidenkrantz, M.-S., Ebbesen, H., Aagaard-Sorensen, S., Moros, M., Lloyd, J.M., Olsen, J., Knudsen, M. F. & Kuijpers, A. Early Holocene large-scale meltwater discharge from Greenland documented by foraminifera and sediment parameters. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 2012.
- Perner, K., Moros, M., Jennings, A., Lloyd, J.M. & Knudsen, K.L. Holocene palaeoceanographic evolution off West Greenland. The Holocene. 2012.
- Strong, D.J., Flecker, R.M., Valdes, P.J., Wilkinson, I.P., Rees, J.G., Zong, Y., Lloyd, J.M., Garrett, E. & Pancost, R.D. Organic matter distribution in the modern sediments of the Pearl River Estuary. Organic Geochemistry. 2012;49:68-82.
- Woods, A., Lloyd, J.M., Zong, Y. & Brodie, C. Spatial mapping of Pearl River estuary surface sediment geochemistry: influence of data analysis on environmental interpretation. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 2012;115:218-233.
- Lloyd, J.M., Moros, M., Perner, K., Telford, R., Kuijpers, A., Jansen, E. & McCarthy, D A 100 year record of ocean temperature control on the stability of Jakobshavn Isbrae, West Greenland. Geology. 2011;39:867-870.
- Watcham, E.P., Bentley, M.J., Hodgson, D.A., Roberts, S.J., Fretwell, P.T., Lloyd, J.M., Larter, R.D., Whitehouse, P.L., Leng, M.J., Monien, P. & Moreton, S.G. A new Holocene relative sea-level curve for the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2011;30:3152-3170.
- Perner, K., Moros, M., Lloyd, J.M., Kuijpers, A., Telford, R. & Harff, J. Centennial scale benthic foraminiferal record of late Holocene oceanographic variability in DIsko Bugt, West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2011;30:2815-2826.
- Brodie, C.B., Leng, M.J., Casford, J.S.L., Kendrick, C.P., Lloyd, J.M., Zong, Y. & Bird, M.I. Evidence for bias in C and N concentrations and δ13C composition of terrestrial and aquatic organic materials due to pre-analysis acid preparation methods. Chemical Geology. 2011;282:67-83.
- Brodie, C.B., Casford, J.S.L., Lloyd, J.M., Leng, M.J., Heaton, T.H.E., Kendrick, C.P. & Zong, Y. Evidence for bias in C/N, δ13C, δ15N values of bulk organic matter, and on environmental interpretation, from a lake sedimentary sequence by pre-analysis acid treatment methods. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2011;30:3076-3087.
- Brodie, C.R., Heaton, T.H.E., Leng, M.J., Kendrick, C.P., Casford, J.S.L. & Lloyd, J.M. Evidence for bias in measured δ15N values of terrestrial and aquatic organic materials due to pre-analysis acid treatment methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 2011;25:1089-1099.
- Kilfeather, A.A., O Cofaigh, C., Lloyd, J.M., Dowdeswell, J.A., Xu, S. & Moreton, S.G. Ice-stream retreat and ice-shelf history in Marguerite Trough, Antarctic Peninsula: Sedimentological and foraminiferal signatures. Bulletin of the Geological Society of America. 2011;123:997-1015.
- Andresen, C., McCarthy, D., Dylmer, C., Seidenkrantz, M-S., Kuijpers, A. & Lloyd, J. Interaction between subsurface ocean waters and calving of Jakobshavn Isbræ during the Late Holocene. The Holocene. 2011;21:211-224.
- Hogan, K.A., Dix, J.K., Lloyd, J.M., Long, A.J. & Cotterill, C.J. Seismic stratigraphy records the deglacial history of Jakobshavn Isbrae, West Greenland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2011;26:757-766.
- Yu, F., Zong, Y., Lloyd, J.M., Huang, G., Leng, M.J., Kendrick, C., Lamb, A.L. & Yim, W.W.-S. Bulk organic δ13C and C/N as indicators for sediment sources in the Pearl River delta and estuary, southern China. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 2010;87:618-630.
- Zong, Y., Kemp, A.C., Yu, F., Lloyd, J.M., Huang, G. & Yim, W.W.-S. Diatoms from the Pearl River estuary, China and their suitability as a water salinity indicator for coastal environments. Marine Micropaleontology. 2010;75:38-49.
- Krawczyk, D., Witkowski, A., Moros, M., Lloyd, J., Kuijpers, A. & Kierzek, A. Late-Holocene interaction between climate and hydrology of the West Greenland Current from Disko Bugt, central west Greenland. The Holocene. 2010;20:659-666.
- Zong, Y., Huang, G., Yu, F., Lloyd, J. & Yim, W.W.-S. Sedimentary evidence of Late Holocene human activity in the Pearl River delta, China. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2010;35:1095-1102.
- Zong, Y., Yu, F., Huang, G., Lloyd, J.M. & Yim, W.W.-S. The history of water salinity in the Pearl River estuary, China, during the Late Quaternary. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2010;35:1221-1233.
- Roberts, D.H., Yde, J.C., Knudsen, N.T., Long, A.J. & Lloyd, J.M. Ice marginal dynamics during surge activity, Kuannersuit Glacier, Disko Island, West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2009;28:209-222.
- Lloyd, J.M., Norddahl, H., Bentley, M.J., Newton, A., Tucker, O. & Zong, Y. Lateglacial to Holocene relative sea-level changes in the Bjarkarlundur area near Reykholar, North West Iceland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2009;24:816-831.
- McClymont, E.L., Rosell-Mele, A., Haug, G. & Lloyd, J.M. Expansion of subarctic water masses in the North Atlantic and Pacific oceans and implications for mid-Pleistocene ice sheet growth. Paleoceanography. 2008;23:PA4214.
- Mackie, E. A. V., Lloyd, J.M., Leng, M.J., Bentley, M.J. & Arrowsmith, C. Assessment of δ13C, C/N ratios in bulk organic matter as palaeosalinity indicators in Holocene and Lateglacial isolation basin sediments, northwest Scotland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2007;22:579-591.
- Lloyd, J.M., Kuijpers, A., Long, A., Moros, M. & Park, L.A. Foraminiferal reconstruction of mid- to late-Holocene ocean circulation and climate variability in Disko Bugt, West Greenland. The Holocene. 2007;17:1079-1091.
- Smith, J. A., Bentley, M. J., Hodgson, D. A., Roberts, S. J., Leng, M. J., Lloyd, J. M., Barrett, M. J., Bryant, C. & Sugden, D. E. Oceanic and atmospheric forcing of early Holocene ice shelf retreat, George VI Ice Shelf, Antarctica Peninsula. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2007;26:500-516.
- Lloyd, J.M. Late Holocene environmental change in Disko Bugt, West Greenland: interaction between climate, ocean circulation and Jakobshavn Isbrae. Boreas. 2006;35:35-49.
- Lloyd, J.M. Modern distribution of benthic foraminifera from Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Journal of Foraminiferal Research. 2006;36:315-331.
- Zong, Y., Lloyd, J. M., Leng, M. J., Yim, W. W.-S. & Huang, G. The reconstruction of Holocene monsoon history from the Pearl River Estuary using diatoms and carbon isotope ratios. The Holocene. 2006;16:251-263.
- McClymont, E. L., Rosell-Mele, A., Giraudeau, J., Pierre, C. & Lloyd, J. M. Alkenone and coccolith records of the mid-Pleistocene in the south-east Atlantic: Implications for the Uk37' index and South African climate. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2005;24:1559-1572.
- Mackie, E. A. V., Leng, M., Lloyd, J. M. & Arrowsmith, C. Bulk organic δ13C and C/N ratios as palaeosalinity indicators within a Scottish isolation basin. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2005;20:303-312.
- Lloyd, J.M., Park, L.A., Kuijpers, A. & Moros, M. Early Holocene palaeoceanography and deglacial chronology of Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2005;24:1741-1755.
- Horton, B. P., Innes, J. B., Shennan, I., Lloyd, J. M. & McArthur, J. J. Holocene coastal change in east Norfolk, UK: palaeoenvironmental data from Somerton and Winteron Holmes, near Horsey. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association. 2004;115:209-220.
- Lloyd, J.M. & Evans, J.R. Contemporary and fossil foraminifera from isolation basins in northwest Scotland. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2002;17:431-443.
- Kuijpers, A., Lloyd, J. M., Jensen, J. B., Endler, R., Moros, M., Park, L. A., Schulz, B., Jensen, K. G. & Laier, T. Late Quaternary circulation changes and sedimentation in Disko Bugt and adjacent fjords, central West Greenland. Geology of Greenland Survey Bulletin. 2001;189:41-47.
- Lloyd, J. M. Combined Foraminiferal and Thecamoebian Environmental Reconstruction from an Isolation Basin in NW Scotland: Implications for Sea-Level Studies. Journal of Foraminiferal Research. 2000;30:294-305.
- Shennan, I., Horton, B. P., Innes, J. B., Lloyd, J. M., McArthur, J. J. & Rutherford, M. M. Holocene isostasy and relative sea-level changes on the east coast of England. 2000;275-298.
- Horton, B. P., Edwards, R. J. & Lloyd, J. M. Implications of a microfossil based transfer function in Holocene sea-level studies. 2000;Special No. 166:41 - 54.
- Shennan, I., Lambeck, K., Horton, B. P., Innes, J. B., Lloyd, J. M., McArthur, J. J., Purcell, A. & Rutherford, M. M. Late Devensian and Holocene records of relative sea-level changes in northwest Scotland and their implications for glacio-hydro-isostatic modelling. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2000;19:1103-1136.
- Shennan, I., Horton, B. P., Innes, J. B., Gehrels, W. R., Lloyd, J. M., McArthur, J. J. & Rutherford, M. M. Late Quarternary sea-level changes, crustal movements and coastal evolution in Northumberland, UK. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2000;15:215-238.
- Shennan, I., Lambeck, K., Flather, R., Wingfield, R., Horton, B. P., McArthur, J. J., Innes, J. B., Lloyd, J. M. & Rutherford, M. M. Modelling western North Sea palaeogeographies and tidal changes during the Holocene. 2000;Special Publication 166:299-319.
- Horton, B., Edwards, R. J. & Lloyd, J. M. A Foraminiferal-based Transfer Function: Implications for sea-level studies. Journal of Foraminiferal Research. 1999;29:117-129.
- Lloyd, J. M., Shennan, I., Green, F., Kirby, J. & Rutherford, M. Holocene relative sea-level changes in the inner Solway Firth. Quaternary International. 1999;60:83 - 105.
- Shennan, I., Tooley, M., Green, F., Innes, J., Kennington, K., Lloyd, J. M. & Rutherford, M. M. Sea level, climate change and coastal evolution in Morar, Northwest Scotland. Geologie en Mijnbouw. 1999;77:247-262.
- Horton, B. P., Edwards, R. J. & Lloyd, J. M. UK intertidal foraminiferal distributions: implications for sea-level studies. Marine Micropaleontology. 1999;36:205 - 223.
- Long, A., Innes, J. B., Kirby, J., Lloyd, J. M., Rutherford, M. M., Shennan, I. & Tooley, M. J. Holocene sea-level change and coastal evolution in the Humber estuary, eastern England: An assessment of rapid coastal change. The Holocene. 1998;8:229-247.
- Lloyd, J. M., Kroon, D., Laban, C. & Boulton, G. Deglaciation history and palaeoceanography of the Western Spitsbergen margin since the last glacial maximum. 1996;Geological Society Special Publication No. 111:289 - 302.
- Shennan, I., Green, F., Innes, J. B., Lloyd, J. M., Rutherford, M. M. & Walker, K. Evaluation of rapid relative sea-level changes in north-west Scotland during the late Devensian: Evidence from Ardtoe and other isolation basins. Journal of Coastal Research. 1996;12:862-874.
- Lloyd, J. M., Kroon, D., Boulton, G., Laban, C. & Fallick, A. Ice rafting history from the Spitsbergen ice cap over the last 200 ka. Marine Geology. 1996;131:103 - 121.
- Shennan, I., Long, A.J., Rutherford, M.M., Green, F.M., Innes, J.B., Lloyd, J.M., Zong, Y. & Walker, K. Tidal marsh stratigraphy, sea-level change and large earthquakes, 1; a 5000 year record in Washington, U.S.A. Quaternary Science Reviews. 1996;15:1-37.
- 2006: Halcrow. Evolution of Drigg Spit and relationship to relative sea-level change during the Holocene. J. Lloyd, Y. Zong, awarded £18,360
- 2006: NERC Radiocarbon Laboratory. Reconstruction of Holocene monsoon variability from the Pearl River Estuary. Y. Zong, J. Lloyd, A. Lamb, awarded £1000
- 2005: Halcrow. Late Holocene evolution of the Ravenglass estuary: the Irt-Mite-Esk rivers complex. J. Lloyd, Y. Zong, awarded £7743
- 2005: NERC Isotope Geoscience Facility. Reconstruction of the Holocene monsoon variability from the Pearl River Estuary. Y. Zong, J. Lloyd, A. Lamb, awarded £19,500
- 2004: Halcrow. Preliminary Investigation of the Evolution of the Esk – Mite – Irt rivers Complex. J. Lloyd, Y. Zong, awarded £14,100
- 2003: NERC - Organic Mass Spectrometry Facility, 2003. The role of the carbon cycle in the Mid-Pleistocene Revolution. J. Lloyd, A. Rosell-Mele, E. McClymont. Awarded £46,800.
- 2003: Quaternary Research Association, January 2003. Sea-level reconstruction and deglaciation of NW Iceland and its implications for ocean circulation. J. Lloyd. Awarded £350.
- 2002: NERC - Isotope Research Support, 2002. Reconstruction of the Holocene variability of the East Asian monsoon from shallow marine sediment archives. J. Lloyd, Y. Zong, W. Yim. Pilot Project.
- 2001: NERC - Radiocarbon Laboratory, 2001. Late Quaternary ice sheet dynamics in west Greenland. J. Lloyd. Awarded £2,664.
- 2000: Carlsberg Foundation, 2000. ‘Disko Gallup - Impact of Kangersuniat surging glacier on fjord and inner shelf biota. M. Rasch, J. Lloyd, D. Roberts. Awarded 150,000 Danish Kroner (grant administered by M. Rasch from University of Copenhagen).
- 2000: NERC - Isotope Research Support, 2000. High resolution relative sea-level changes and palaeoenvironmental reconstruction from NW Scotland since the Last Glacial Maximum. I. Shennan, J. Lloyd, E. Mackie. Awarded £33,374.